‘2 States’ Box Office Collection: Alia-Arjun Starrer Witnesses Fantastic Opening Weekend; Beats Salman’s ‘Jai Ho’ Overseas
By Ankita Mehta | April 21, 2014 5:15 PM EST
"2 States" helmed by Abhishek Varman had a solid debut weekend in India as well as in the international market. The romantic film based on a novel of same name failed to beat "Gunday" opening weekend domestic total, but the film managed to shatter "Jai Ho" at the US box office.
Alia Bhatt and Arjun Kapoor in 'cc
The domestic opening weekend total of "2 States" starring Alia Bhatt and Arjun Kapoor is ₹38.06 crore.
"#2States has a FANTABULOUS weekend. Fri Rs 12.42 cr, Sat 12.13 cr, Sun 13.51 cr. Total: ₹ 38.06 cr nett. SUPER HIT," trade analyst Taran Adarsh tweeted.
The film, released in 2000 screens in India, had the third highest opening weekend total in 2014. Salman Khan's "Jai Ho" earned the highest amount of ₹60.68 crore nett, while Ranveer Singh-Arjun Kapoor's "Gunday" minted ₹43.93 crore.
The film had extensive release at the multiplexes across the country where it performed well. The film also made a mark at the mass circuits.
Circuits including Delhi, Mumbai, Rajasthan, UP and Mysore had performed well.
Looking at the opening weekend pace, the film is expected to hold on well during the weekdays run in India.
In international arena the two day total of "2 States" had shattered the opening weekend record of "Gunday" and "Jai Ho". At the US-Canada box office, the film has become the biggest opening of 2014; beating "Jai Ho" three days figure.
[Check out the "2 States" and "Gunday" overseas figures here]
"#2States all set to cross $ 1 million mark in USA-Canada in opng wknd itself. BIGGEST OPENER of 2014 there. Overtakes #JaiHo by a margin." Adarsh tweeted.
"Jai Ho" in its opening weekend grossed ₹4.05 crore ($ 643,059) from 161 screens from the US box office, while from Canada it earned ₹1.10 crore ($174,685) from 22 screens.
Meanwhile, it's a hat-trick for Chetan Bhagat as "2 States" based on his third book has become a hit flick. The first two films were "3 Idiots" based on "Five Point Someone" and second is "Kai Po Che" based on "3 Mistakes of My Life".
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28