‘2 States’ Box Office Collection: Alia-Arjun Starrer Witnesses Fantastic Opening Weekend; Beats Salman’s ‘Jai Ho’ Overseas
By Ankita Mehta | April 21, 2014 5:15 PM EST
"2 States" helmed by Abhishek Varman had a solid debut weekend in India as well as in the international market. The romantic film based on a novel of same name failed to beat "Gunday" opening weekend domestic total, but the film managed to shatter "Jai Ho" at the US box office.
Alia Bhatt and Arjun Kapoor in 'cc
The domestic opening weekend total of "2 States" starring Alia Bhatt and Arjun Kapoor is ₹38.06 crore.
"#2States has a FANTABULOUS weekend. Fri Rs 12.42 cr, Sat 12.13 cr, Sun 13.51 cr. Total: ₹ 38.06 cr nett. SUPER HIT," trade analyst Taran Adarsh tweeted.
The film, released in 2000 screens in India, had the third highest opening weekend total in 2014. Salman Khan's "Jai Ho" earned the highest amount of ₹60.68 crore nett, while Ranveer Singh-Arjun Kapoor's "Gunday" minted ₹43.93 crore.
The film had extensive release at the multiplexes across the country where it performed well. The film also made a mark at the mass circuits.
Circuits including Delhi, Mumbai, Rajasthan, UP and Mysore had performed well.
Looking at the opening weekend pace, the film is expected to hold on well during the weekdays run in India.
In international arena the two day total of "2 States" had shattered the opening weekend record of "Gunday" and "Jai Ho". At the US-Canada box office, the film has become the biggest opening of 2014; beating "Jai Ho" three days figure.
[Check out the "2 States" and "Gunday" overseas figures here]
"#2States all set to cross $ 1 million mark in USA-Canada in opng wknd itself. BIGGEST OPENER of 2014 there. Overtakes #JaiHo by a margin." Adarsh tweeted.
"Jai Ho" in its opening weekend grossed ₹4.05 crore ($ 643,059) from 161 screens from the US box office, while from Canada it earned ₹1.10 crore ($174,685) from 22 screens.
Meanwhile, it's a hat-trick for Chetan Bhagat as "2 States" based on his third book has become a hit flick. The first two films were "3 Idiots" based on "Five Point Someone" and second is "Kai Po Che" based on "3 Mistakes of My Life".
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'NCIS' Season 12 Spoilers: Ziva David Out, Tony's New Love Could be Stephanie Jacobsen's Leia; Troian Bellisario Teases 'Reunion' Photo
- ‘Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice’ Comic-Con Teaser Trailer In Animation [Watch Video]
- ‘The Bold And The Beautiful’ Spoilers For Aug. 21, 2014: A Party For Hope And Wyatt Affects Liam’s Pride In ‘B&B’ [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 1 Teaser Video: ‘What’s Coming Next’
- 'Suits' RECAP Season 4 Episode 10 [Mid-Season Finale]: Louis Finds Out About Mike's Truth In This Is Rome [SPOILERS]
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE Android 4.4.2, Android 4.4.4Guide: Installation and When to Hit Your Region
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch