‘2 States’ Box Office Collection: Alia-Arjun Starrer Witnesses Fantastic Opening Weekend; Beats Salman’s ‘Jai Ho’ Overseas
By Ankita Mehta | April 21, 2014 5:15 PM EST
"2 States" helmed by Abhishek Varman had a solid debut weekend in India as well as in the international market. The romantic film based on a novel of same name failed to beat "Gunday" opening weekend domestic total, but the film managed to shatter "Jai Ho" at the US box office.
Alia Bhatt and Arjun Kapoor in 'cc
The domestic opening weekend total of "2 States" starring Alia Bhatt and Arjun Kapoor is ₹38.06 crore.
"#2States has a FANTABULOUS weekend. Fri Rs 12.42 cr, Sat 12.13 cr, Sun 13.51 cr. Total: ₹ 38.06 cr nett. SUPER HIT," trade analyst Taran Adarsh tweeted.
The film, released in 2000 screens in India, had the third highest opening weekend total in 2014. Salman Khan's "Jai Ho" earned the highest amount of ₹60.68 crore nett, while Ranveer Singh-Arjun Kapoor's "Gunday" minted ₹43.93 crore.
The film had extensive release at the multiplexes across the country where it performed well. The film also made a mark at the mass circuits.
Circuits including Delhi, Mumbai, Rajasthan, UP and Mysore had performed well.
Looking at the opening weekend pace, the film is expected to hold on well during the weekdays run in India.
In international arena the two day total of "2 States" had shattered the opening weekend record of "Gunday" and "Jai Ho". At the US-Canada box office, the film has become the biggest opening of 2014; beating "Jai Ho" three days figure.
[Check out the "2 States" and "Gunday" overseas figures here]
"#2States all set to cross $ 1 million mark in USA-Canada in opng wknd itself. BIGGEST OPENER of 2014 there. Overtakes #JaiHo by a margin." Adarsh tweeted.
"Jai Ho" in its opening weekend grossed ₹4.05 crore ($ 643,059) from 161 screens from the US box office, while from Canada it earned ₹1.10 crore ($174,685) from 22 screens.
Meanwhile, it's a hat-trick for Chetan Bhagat as "2 States" based on his third book has become a hit flick. The first two films were "3 Idiots" based on "Five Point Someone" and second is "Kai Po Che" based on "3 Mistakes of My Life".
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice’ First Photo Of Lex Luthor Leaked, Jesse Eisenberg On Villain’s Role And Plot Details Revealed
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- Nick Cannon–Mariah Carey Divorce Reports: Nick Dating Younger Woman
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘Captain America 3’: Red Skull Returns, Greater Villains Added
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display