‘2 States’ Box Office Collection: Alia-Arjun Starrer Witnesses Fantastic Opening Weekend; Beats Salman’s ‘Jai Ho’ Overseas
By Ankita Mehta | April 21, 2014 5:15 PM EST
"2 States" helmed by Abhishek Varman had a solid debut weekend in India as well as in the international market. The romantic film based on a novel of same name failed to beat "Gunday" opening weekend domestic total, but the film managed to shatter "Jai Ho" at the US box office.
Alia Bhatt and Arjun Kapoor in 'cc
The domestic opening weekend total of "2 States" starring Alia Bhatt and Arjun Kapoor is ₹38.06 crore.
"#2States has a FANTABULOUS weekend. Fri Rs 12.42 cr, Sat 12.13 cr, Sun 13.51 cr. Total: ₹ 38.06 cr nett. SUPER HIT," trade analyst Taran Adarsh tweeted.
The film, released in 2000 screens in India, had the third highest opening weekend total in 2014. Salman Khan's "Jai Ho" earned the highest amount of ₹60.68 crore nett, while Ranveer Singh-Arjun Kapoor's "Gunday" minted ₹43.93 crore.
The film had extensive release at the multiplexes across the country where it performed well. The film also made a mark at the mass circuits.
Circuits including Delhi, Mumbai, Rajasthan, UP and Mysore had performed well.
Looking at the opening weekend pace, the film is expected to hold on well during the weekdays run in India.
In international arena the two day total of "2 States" had shattered the opening weekend record of "Gunday" and "Jai Ho". At the US-Canada box office, the film has become the biggest opening of 2014; beating "Jai Ho" three days figure.
[Check out the "2 States" and "Gunday" overseas figures here]
"#2States all set to cross $ 1 million mark in USA-Canada in opng wknd itself. BIGGEST OPENER of 2014 there. Overtakes #JaiHo by a margin." Adarsh tweeted.
"Jai Ho" in its opening weekend grossed ₹4.05 crore ($ 643,059) from 161 screens from the US box office, while from Canada it earned ₹1.10 crore ($174,685) from 22 screens.
Meanwhile, it's a hat-trick for Chetan Bhagat as "2 States" based on his third book has become a hit flick. The first two films were "3 Idiots" based on "Five Point Someone" and second is "Kai Po Che" based on "3 Mistakes of My Life".
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Nina Dobrev To Quit 'The Vampire Diaries' As She Feels 'Uneasy' Working With Ex Ian Somerhalder In Nikki Reed's Presence- Reports
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Premiere Questions: 'Frozen' Story Kicks Off, Queen Elsa vs Emma Swan vs The Evil Queen - New Story Unfolds [SPOILERS]
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Bruce Wayne May Be In Trouble In Leaked Video [Spoilers]
- Season 4 ‘American Horror Story-Freak Show’ Update: Introduction Of Twisty The Clown Is ‘Brutal’ [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson Is Not Proposing FKA Twigs Plus What Kristen Stewart Thinks About RPatz's New Romance- Reports
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate