Beijing Auto Show: Hyundai Unveils Sub-Compact SUV ix25
By greeshma m | April 21, 2014 4:22 PM EST
South Korean auto major Hyundai finally pulled the wraps off its much anticipated sub-compact SUV ix25 at the Beijing Auto Show 2014.
File photo of cars made by South Korea's Hyundai Motor Group on a truck at the company's shipping yard at a port in Pyeongtaek
Hyundai ix25, a smaller SUV designed and developed specifically for China market will go on sale in China in the second half of the year. Powered by the 2.0 litre direct injection petrol engine, Hyundai's latest offering in the SUV line up takes its design cues from its bigger siblings Santa Fe and Sonata. It measures 4,270mm in length, 1,780mm in width, 1,630mm in height and has wheelbase of 2,590mm.The car looks stylish in design and comes with hexagonal grille and LED-lined headlamps.
"Hyundai Motor has grown into a leading automaker in China through continuous innovation for the past 11 years," Gaadi.com quoted Hyundai Motor's President Sung Kee Choi. "Hyundai Motor is now poised for a new challenge to become the most-loved brand by Chinese customers, with high-quality models such as the ix25 SUV, which is strategically-developed for China, and the all-new Genesis introduced today."
The letter "i" in the ix25 corresponds to 'inspiring, intelligent and innovative' and with the new SUV Hyundai targets the younger generation. Korea's popular actor Kim Soo-hyun will promote Hyundai's new SUV in China. Although the company hopes to tap good sales volume in China with the smaller SUV, it is not clear if other markets like India will also get similar product from Hyundai. Rumours are rife that the Korean maker is working on a new SUV using the Grand i10 platform for India auto market.
In India, Hyundai is also expected to launch its new gen 2015 i20 in coming months. The car is expected to pack 1.4-liter diesel and 1.2-liter Kappa2 engine and is likely to come mated to either a 5-speed manual or a 6-speed manual transmission.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- New Malaysia Airlines Caught in Adelaide Airport Latest Scare
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Man Swindles Apple for $309,768 in 16 States
- Formula 1 Chief Sues Google over Sex Party Pictures
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers