Beijing Auto Show: Hyundai Unveils Sub-Compact SUV ix25
By greeshma m | April 21, 2014 4:22 PM EST
South Korean auto major Hyundai finally pulled the wraps off its much anticipated sub-compact SUV ix25 at the Beijing Auto Show 2014.
File photo of cars made by South Korea's Hyundai Motor Group on a truck at the company's shipping yard at a port in Pyeongtaek
Hyundai ix25, a smaller SUV designed and developed specifically for China market will go on sale in China in the second half of the year. Powered by the 2.0 litre direct injection petrol engine, Hyundai's latest offering in the SUV line up takes its design cues from its bigger siblings Santa Fe and Sonata. It measures 4,270mm in length, 1,780mm in width, 1,630mm in height and has wheelbase of 2,590mm.The car looks stylish in design and comes with hexagonal grille and LED-lined headlamps.
"Hyundai Motor has grown into a leading automaker in China through continuous innovation for the past 11 years," Gaadi.com quoted Hyundai Motor's President Sung Kee Choi. "Hyundai Motor is now poised for a new challenge to become the most-loved brand by Chinese customers, with high-quality models such as the ix25 SUV, which is strategically-developed for China, and the all-new Genesis introduced today."
The letter "i" in the ix25 corresponds to 'inspiring, intelligent and innovative' and with the new SUV Hyundai targets the younger generation. Korea's popular actor Kim Soo-hyun will promote Hyundai's new SUV in China. Although the company hopes to tap good sales volume in China with the smaller SUV, it is not clear if other markets like India will also get similar product from Hyundai. Rumours are rife that the Korean maker is working on a new SUV using the Grand i10 platform for India auto market.
In India, Hyundai is also expected to launch its new gen 2015 i20 in coming months. The car is expected to pack 1.4-liter diesel and 1.2-liter Kappa2 engine and is likely to come mated to either a 5-speed manual or a 6-speed manual transmission.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- The IBM and Apple Merger: Will it Spell Trouble to Rival Companies
- CBA, NAB, Westpac in Fixed Rate War Offering Below 5% Interest
- KFC & McDonald’s Accused of Serving ‘Expired’ Meat to Customers
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales