‘Game of Thrones’ Season 4 Episode 3: Why Did Littlefinger Kill Joffrey?
By Keerthi Mohan | April 21, 2014 4:18 PM EST
Sunday’s episode of “Game of Thrones” entitled “Breaker of Chains” revealed the mastermind behind Joffrey’s death, bringing back one of the most dangerous characters of the series -- Lord Petyr Baelish, popularly known as Littlefinger.
Game of Thrones
The character of Littlefinger is known to stir up chaos for personal gain, and he plotted Joffrey’s death so as to rescue Sansa from King’s Landing. When Sansa is finally brought to the dock by Ser Dontos, it is revealed that Littlefinger killed Joffrey by smashing open Sansa’s necklace that contained the poison Strangler.
He also tells Sansa that she can never go back to King’s Landing as her swift flight from the scene of crime makes her looks guilty. “You’re safe with me, sailing home,” Littlefinger tells her.
But is Sansa really safe with a man like Littlefinger who put an arrow through Dontos, the person who helped rescue Sansa, saying “Money buys a man’s silence for a time, a bolt in the heart buys it forever"?
Aidan Gillen, who plays Littlefinger on the series, told Entertainment Weekly that viewers will get to see a sweeter side of the lord. “For me the season is about developing more of a parental and surrogate parental side — the sweeter side of Littlefinger comes through, as well.”
Elaborating on his character’s affection for Sansa, Gillen added: “Well, there’s the obvious. The obvious connection of Sansa being Eddard Stark’s daughter. There’s also somebody there who holds some intrigue. I feel I can teach her, and take her under my wing. But I have a feeling she may have her own agenda.”
Back at King’s Landing, Maegaery appears devastated by her husband’s death and she feels that she is cursed.
“One of my husbands preferred the company of men and was stabbed through the chest. Another was happiest torturing animals and was poisoned at our wedding feast. I must be cursed,” Maegaery said. But her grandmother Olenna remarked that while Maegaery would not have enjoyed watching Joffrey die, it was more pleasurable than being married to him.
Meanwhile, one of the most disturbing scenes of the episode – Jaime forcefully having sex with Cersei next to their son’s corpse —has twittersphere in a buzz.
Check out some of the messages below.
There are people shocked that Jaime & Cersai had sex next to a corpse. It was a fucking rape. He Raped her next to her son's body.
— Maru (@MaruVR) April 21, 2014
— Lily (@Eavesdroppist) April 21, 2014
They should have done it in top of Joffrey's dead body... One big family and ting... #GameOfThrones — Daenerys Targaryen (@Davi21) April 21, 2014
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- This Is Why Japanese Princess Masako Attended First Palace Banquet After 11 Years
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Update: Louise And Blake To Make Their First Appearance As A Couple In Australia
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles