‘Game of Thrones’ Season 4 Episode 3: Why Did Littlefinger Kill Joffrey?
By Keerthi Mohan | April 21, 2014 4:18 PM EST
Sunday’s episode of “Game of Thrones” entitled “Breaker of Chains” revealed the mastermind behind Joffrey’s death, bringing back one of the most dangerous characters of the series -- Lord Petyr Baelish, popularly known as Littlefinger.
Game of Thrones
The character of Littlefinger is known to stir up chaos for personal gain, and he plotted Joffrey’s death so as to rescue Sansa from King’s Landing. When Sansa is finally brought to the dock by Ser Dontos, it is revealed that Littlefinger killed Joffrey by smashing open Sansa’s necklace that contained the poison Strangler.
He also tells Sansa that she can never go back to King’s Landing as her swift flight from the scene of crime makes her looks guilty. “You’re safe with me, sailing home,” Littlefinger tells her.
But is Sansa really safe with a man like Littlefinger who put an arrow through Dontos, the person who helped rescue Sansa, saying “Money buys a man’s silence for a time, a bolt in the heart buys it forever"?
Aidan Gillen, who plays Littlefinger on the series, told Entertainment Weekly that viewers will get to see a sweeter side of the lord. “For me the season is about developing more of a parental and surrogate parental side — the sweeter side of Littlefinger comes through, as well.”
Elaborating on his character’s affection for Sansa, Gillen added: “Well, there’s the obvious. The obvious connection of Sansa being Eddard Stark’s daughter. There’s also somebody there who holds some intrigue. I feel I can teach her, and take her under my wing. But I have a feeling she may have her own agenda.”
Back at King’s Landing, Maegaery appears devastated by her husband’s death and she feels that she is cursed.
“One of my husbands preferred the company of men and was stabbed through the chest. Another was happiest torturing animals and was poisoned at our wedding feast. I must be cursed,” Maegaery said. But her grandmother Olenna remarked that while Maegaery would not have enjoyed watching Joffrey die, it was more pleasurable than being married to him.
Meanwhile, one of the most disturbing scenes of the episode – Jaime forcefully having sex with Cersei next to their son’s corpse —has twittersphere in a buzz.
Check out some of the messages below.
There are people shocked that Jaime & Cersai had sex next to a corpse. It was a fucking rape. He Raped her next to her son's body.
— Maru (@MaruVR) April 21, 2014
— Lily (@Eavesdroppist) April 21, 2014
They should have done it in top of Joffrey's dead body... One big family and ting... #GameOfThrones — Daenerys Targaryen (@Davi21) April 21, 2014
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘America’s Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Finale Performance Episode Recap, Spoilers: 6 Finalists Perform Their Last Acts To Win Finals
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- Nina Dobrev Moves On From Ian Somerhalder: ‘TVD’ Actress Trying To Reconcile With Ex, ‘DWTS’ Star Derek Hough—Report Suggests
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Casting: Brothel Guard, Military Officer And More
- ‘American Horror Story’ Season 4 ‘Freak Show’ Update: Skyler Samuels Roped In To Play Pivotal Role, Extended Teaser Released [VIDEO]
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet