‘Game of Thrones’ Season 4 Episode 3: Why Did Littlefinger Kill Joffrey?
By Keerthi Mohan | April 21, 2014 4:18 PM EST
Sunday’s episode of “Game of Thrones” entitled “Breaker of Chains” revealed the mastermind behind Joffrey’s death, bringing back one of the most dangerous characters of the series -- Lord Petyr Baelish, popularly known as Littlefinger.
Game of Thrones
The character of Littlefinger is known to stir up chaos for personal gain, and he plotted Joffrey’s death so as to rescue Sansa from King’s Landing. When Sansa is finally brought to the dock by Ser Dontos, it is revealed that Littlefinger killed Joffrey by smashing open Sansa’s necklace that contained the poison Strangler.
He also tells Sansa that she can never go back to King’s Landing as her swift flight from the scene of crime makes her looks guilty. “You’re safe with me, sailing home,” Littlefinger tells her.
But is Sansa really safe with a man like Littlefinger who put an arrow through Dontos, the person who helped rescue Sansa, saying “Money buys a man’s silence for a time, a bolt in the heart buys it forever"?
Aidan Gillen, who plays Littlefinger on the series, told Entertainment Weekly that viewers will get to see a sweeter side of the lord. “For me the season is about developing more of a parental and surrogate parental side — the sweeter side of Littlefinger comes through, as well.”
Elaborating on his character’s affection for Sansa, Gillen added: “Well, there’s the obvious. The obvious connection of Sansa being Eddard Stark’s daughter. There’s also somebody there who holds some intrigue. I feel I can teach her, and take her under my wing. But I have a feeling she may have her own agenda.”
Back at King’s Landing, Maegaery appears devastated by her husband’s death and she feels that she is cursed.
“One of my husbands preferred the company of men and was stabbed through the chest. Another was happiest torturing animals and was poisoned at our wedding feast. I must be cursed,” Maegaery said. But her grandmother Olenna remarked that while Maegaery would not have enjoyed watching Joffrey die, it was more pleasurable than being married to him.
Meanwhile, one of the most disturbing scenes of the episode – Jaime forcefully having sex with Cersei next to their son’s corpse —has twittersphere in a buzz.
Check out some of the messages below.
There are people shocked that Jaime & Cersai had sex next to a corpse. It was a fucking rape. He Raped her next to her son's body.
— Maru (@MaruVR) April 21, 2014
— Lily (@Eavesdroppist) April 21, 2014
They should have done it in top of Joffrey's dead body... One big family and ting... #GameOfThrones — Daenerys Targaryen (@Davi21) April 21, 2014
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Reports: Alleged Miscarriage Makes Prince William and Pince Harry Somber - Reports
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal