‘Game of Thrones’ Season 4 Episode 3: Why Did Littlefinger Kill Joffrey?
By Keerthi Mohan | April 21, 2014 4:18 PM EST
Sunday’s episode of “Game of Thrones” entitled “Breaker of Chains” revealed the mastermind behind Joffrey’s death, bringing back one of the most dangerous characters of the series -- Lord Petyr Baelish, popularly known as Littlefinger.
Game of Thrones
The character of Littlefinger is known to stir up chaos for personal gain, and he plotted Joffrey’s death so as to rescue Sansa from King’s Landing. When Sansa is finally brought to the dock by Ser Dontos, it is revealed that Littlefinger killed Joffrey by smashing open Sansa’s necklace that contained the poison Strangler.
He also tells Sansa that she can never go back to King’s Landing as her swift flight from the scene of crime makes her looks guilty. “You’re safe with me, sailing home,” Littlefinger tells her.
But is Sansa really safe with a man like Littlefinger who put an arrow through Dontos, the person who helped rescue Sansa, saying “Money buys a man’s silence for a time, a bolt in the heart buys it forever"?
Aidan Gillen, who plays Littlefinger on the series, told Entertainment Weekly that viewers will get to see a sweeter side of the lord. “For me the season is about developing more of a parental and surrogate parental side — the sweeter side of Littlefinger comes through, as well.”
Elaborating on his character’s affection for Sansa, Gillen added: “Well, there’s the obvious. The obvious connection of Sansa being Eddard Stark’s daughter. There’s also somebody there who holds some intrigue. I feel I can teach her, and take her under my wing. But I have a feeling she may have her own agenda.”
Back at King’s Landing, Maegaery appears devastated by her husband’s death and she feels that she is cursed.
“One of my husbands preferred the company of men and was stabbed through the chest. Another was happiest torturing animals and was poisoned at our wedding feast. I must be cursed,” Maegaery said. But her grandmother Olenna remarked that while Maegaery would not have enjoyed watching Joffrey die, it was more pleasurable than being married to him.
Meanwhile, one of the most disturbing scenes of the episode – Jaime forcefully having sex with Cersei next to their son’s corpse —has twittersphere in a buzz.
Check out some of the messages below.
There are people shocked that Jaime & Cersai had sex next to a corpse. It was a fucking rape. He Raped her next to her son's body.
— Maru (@MaruVR) April 21, 2014
— Lily (@Eavesdroppist) April 21, 2014
They should have done it in top of Joffrey's dead body... One big family and ting... #GameOfThrones — Daenerys Targaryen (@Davi21) April 21, 2014
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jennifer Lawrence’s Nude Photos and Videos Leaked by 4Chan Hacker; Ariana Grande, Lea Michele, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kate Upton’s Also Included
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ Spoilers: Find Out Whether AshLee Frazier And Graham Bunn Last Till The End; Meet The New Arrivals Of Episode 6
- ‘The Leftovers’: Episode 10 On Hold, Renewed For Season 2, Season 1 Finale Synopsis And Preview [VIDEO]
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen