Aishwarya Rai, Abhishek Bachchan Celebrate 7 Years of Marriage
By Arijita Bhowmik | April 20, 2014 11:24 PM EST
Bollywood couple Aishwarya Rai Bachchan and Abhishek Bachchan marked the seventh year of their formal union on 20 April.
The duo, who got hitched amidst much media buzz, tied the knot back in 2007.
Aaradhya, the daughter of Abhishek and Aishwarya Rai Bachchan
It clearly was not a case of love at first sight, at least for the former Miss World. The pair first worked together in the commercial dud "Dhaai Akshar Prem Ke" (2000), when Aishwarya was understood to be with Salman Khan, while Abhishek was linked to Karisma Kapoor, who he got engaged to two years later.
While Aishwarya was linked to Vivek Oberoi, post her split with Salman Khan, Abhishek had been associated with Rani Mukerji, after his engagement with Kapoor was called off.
The duo went on to pair in "Kuch Naa Kaho" (2003), followed by "Umrao Jaan" and "Dhoom 2" (both 2006) and "Guru" (2007). It was widely speculated that romance blossomed between them, during the making of the last three films.
Abhishek reportedly proposed to Aishwarya in New York, right after the premiere of Mani Ratnam's "Guru", and they got engaged on 14 January 2007.
With Aishwarya being a South Indian belonging to Mangalore's Bunt community, and Abhishek hailing from the Bachchan family, their marriage ceremony witnessed the cross-cultural factor.
But prior to the couple's union, tabloids carried reports of tension in the Bachchan family, and reasons like the actress' onscreen lip locks, she being older than Abhishek and astrological issues came up. However, the speculations were proved wrong as the duo tied the knot in a grand ceremony on 20 April 2007, which only had selected invitees.
The couple then went on to star in Ram Gopal Varma's "Sarkar Raj" (2008) and Ratnam's "Raavan" (2010), post marriage.
Aishwarya gave birth to their daughter Aaradhya Bachchan in 2011, and has since then been on a sabbatical from acting.
There have been reports that Abhishek and Aishwarya are likely to reunite onscreen in Prahlad Kakkar's "Happy Anniversary", which has been touted as the actress' comeback film. However, recent reports claim that a Ratnam thriller made as a multilingual in the South languages will be her comeback film.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- 'Fast & Furious 7': New Brian O' Connor And Dominic Toretto Scene Surfaces
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Major Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Thoughtful in ‘Crossed’
- Taylor Swift And Harry Styles Spotted Together Enjoying A Concert; Songstress ‘Still Not Over’ 1D Singer—Reports
- 'White Collar' Season 6 RECAP Episode 3: Amy Slaps Neal Caffrey In Uncontrolled Variables [SPOILERS]
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies