Aishwarya Rai, Abhishek Bachchan Celebrate 7 Years of Marriage
By Arijita Bhowmik | April 20, 2014 11:24 PM EST
Bollywood couple Aishwarya Rai Bachchan and Abhishek Bachchan marked the seventh year of their formal union on 20 April.
The duo, who got hitched amidst much media buzz, tied the knot back in 2007.
Aaradhya, the daughter of Abhishek and Aishwarya Rai Bachchan
It clearly was not a case of love at first sight, at least for the former Miss World. The pair first worked together in the commercial dud "Dhaai Akshar Prem Ke" (2000), when Aishwarya was understood to be with Salman Khan, while Abhishek was linked to Karisma Kapoor, who he got engaged to two years later.
While Aishwarya was linked to Vivek Oberoi, post her split with Salman Khan, Abhishek had been associated with Rani Mukerji, after his engagement with Kapoor was called off.
The duo went on to pair in "Kuch Naa Kaho" (2003), followed by "Umrao Jaan" and "Dhoom 2" (both 2006) and "Guru" (2007). It was widely speculated that romance blossomed between them, during the making of the last three films.
Abhishek reportedly proposed to Aishwarya in New York, right after the premiere of Mani Ratnam's "Guru", and they got engaged on 14 January 2007.
With Aishwarya being a South Indian belonging to Mangalore's Bunt community, and Abhishek hailing from the Bachchan family, their marriage ceremony witnessed the cross-cultural factor.
But prior to the couple's union, tabloids carried reports of tension in the Bachchan family, and reasons like the actress' onscreen lip locks, she being older than Abhishek and astrological issues came up. However, the speculations were proved wrong as the duo tied the knot in a grand ceremony on 20 April 2007, which only had selected invitees.
The couple then went on to star in Ram Gopal Varma's "Sarkar Raj" (2008) and Ratnam's "Raavan" (2010), post marriage.
Aishwarya gave birth to their daughter Aaradhya Bachchan in 2011, and has since then been on a sabbatical from acting.
There have been reports that Abhishek and Aishwarya are likely to reunite onscreen in Prahlad Kakkar's "Happy Anniversary", which has been touted as the actress' comeback film. However, recent reports claim that a Ratnam thriller made as a multilingual in the South languages will be her comeback film.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop