Chinese GP Results: Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton Secures Third Win in a Row
By Shruthi SU | April 20, 2014 9:32 PM EST
Lewis Hamilton emerged winner in the Chinese GP at the Shanghai International circuit to not only secure three successive titles for the first time in his career but also to equal Jim Clark and Niki Lauda's record of 25 career victories.
Hamilton did everything to maintain his lead while his Mercedes teammate Nico Rosberg lost pace and was seen seventh, before finally finishing second, 18.0s behind the Brit. Ferrari's Fernando Alonso held off Red Bull's Daniel Ricciardo to grab third place.
The win helped Hamilton narrow the gap with Rosberg in the drivers' championship to four points.
"I can't believe how amazing the car is. I was able to look after the tyres and then I was racing myself," Hamilton said on the podium after the race. "I'm really happy Nico's up here with us. It's great points for the team."
It was Hamilton's third career victory in Shanghai and it's also the third time this season that the Mercedes racers finished one-two. The Red Bulls, despite finishing second and third in qualifying, did not do well enough to keep Alonso away. The Spaniard finished third, 23.6s behind Hamilton to help Ferrari achieve their first podium finish this season.
"It was a good weekend," Alonso said. "We did improve the car a little bit compared to the first three races, so we felt more competitive. Being in the podium is a nice surprise for us.
"I think I'm third in the championship behind these two guys. We didn't have the start of the season we would have liked but we are still in the fight."
Meanwhile, Sebastian Vettel, for the second time in a row, was forced to let teammate Ricciardo move ahead of him, thanks to the medium-compound Pirelli tyres they both were on at the same time and a two-stop strategy the team adopted. The Australian finished fourth and was followed by his German teammate without much competition from Force India's Nico Hulkenberg, who finished sixth, while Williams' Valtteri Bottas came seventh.
Kimi Raikkonen's Ferrari was all alone almost throughout the race to finish eighth, while the second Force India of Sergio Perez followed behind.
Results: 1. Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes) 2. Nico Rosberg (Mercedes) 3. Fernando Alonso (Ferrari) 4. Daniel Ricciardo (Red Bull) 5. Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull) 6. Nico Hulkenberg (Force India) 7. Valtteri Bottas (Williams) 8. Kimi Raikkonen (Ferrari) 9. Sergio Perez (Force India) 10. Daniil Kvyat (Toro Rosso).
All-time Formula One Winners List
1. Michael Schumacher 91
2. Alain Prost 51
3. Ayrton Senna 41
4. Sebastian Vettel 39
5. Fernando Alonso 32
6. Nigel Mansell 31
7. Jackie Stewart 27
T8. Jim Clark 25
T8. Niki Lauda 25
T8. Lewis Hamilton 25
11. Juan Manuel Fangio 24
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Final: USA Vs. Serbia Live Streaming Info, Key Players And Preview
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Reports Indicate Mayweather Has 2 Girlfriends: Bad Medina & Liza Hernandez
- NFL Week 2: Kansas City Chiefs Vs. Denver Broncos Live Streaming Information And Preview
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date