‘2 States’ Box Office Collection: Alia-Arjun Starrer Remains Steady, Beats ‘Gunday’ Overseas in 2 Days
By Ankita Mehta | April 20, 2014 4:57 PM EST
Abhishek Varman's directorial debut "2 States" remained steady on its second day in India, while the collections showed an upward trend in the overseas markets.
The romantic comedy, starring Alia Bhatt and Arjun Kapoor in the lead roles, was released on 2,000 screens in India and over 300 screens overseas.
The film opened well in India on day one due to Good Friday holiday across the country, and it maintained the pace at the box office on its second day. The two-day domestic accumulation of the film now stands at ₹24.55 crore.
"#2States *India* Fri Rs 12.42 cr, Sat 12.13 cr. Total: Rs 24.55 cr nett. India biz. Excellent," trade analyst Taran Adarsh tweeted.
"2 States" is expected to show significant growth in its earnings on Sunday. If it fetches well, the film would break the opening weekend record of Ranveer Singh and Arjun Kapoor's "Gunday". Nonetheless, the film will at least have the third highest opening weekend figures of 2014.
Salman Khan's "Jai Ho" earned ₹60.68 crore in its debut weekend, while "Gunday" raked in ₹43.93 crore.
Meanwhile, in the overseas markets, the two-day collection of "2 States" has shattered the opening weekend earnings of "Gunday". The Bhatt-Kapoor starrer opened well at the US-Canada box office and, in just one day, the film raked in ₹2.12 crore ($351,000).
Here is the country-wise breakup of the film's collection at the overseas box office, according to figures provided by Adarsh:
US-Canada: The day one total of the film stands at ₹2.12 crore ($351,000).
UK: The two-day figure of the film, including preview, is ₹1.33 crore (£131,637), while the opening weekend total of "Gunday" was ₹2.14 crore (£206,721).
Australia: The film raked in ₹69.19 lakh (A$122,922) in the first two days, while "Gunday" raked in ₹56.41 lakh (A$100,974) in three days.
New Zealand: The two-day total of the film is ₹25.57 lakh (NZ$ 49,417), while "Gunday" opening weekend total was ₹21.36 lakh (NZ$41,304)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy: Alleged Miscarriage Makes Prince William and Prince Harry Somber - Reports
- Beyonce &Jay Z Marriage Story: Bey Not Attracted to Jay, Married Him for Professional Growth - Reports
- Kendra Wilkinson's Divorce Troubles: Hank Baskett Cheated Before Allegedly Caught with Transexual Model - Reports
- Castle Season 7 Spoilers, Speculations: Stana Katic in More ‘Beast’ Action, Nathan Fillion Mulls Caskett Wedding Schedule
- Scandal Season 4 Update: Premiere Episode Title Revealed, A Different New Season
- Transfer News: In Demand Everton Midfielder Silence Speculations by Penning New Deal [VIDEO]
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- Reebok Launches Bacon Line to Lure CrossFit and Paleo Diet Fans
- Transfer News: Star Midfielder Pledges Future with Manchester City [VIDEO]
- ACT Party's Demand to Re Consider Maoris Privileges Evokes Reprimand