Florida Man Killed Crying Son to Play Video Games
By Keerthi Mohan | April 19, 2014 6:55 PM EST
A Florida man smothered his sixteen-month-old son because the toddler’s constant crying disturbed him as he played games on his Xbox and even watched television shows for five hours before noticing that the child was dead.
The frustrated Cody Wygant, an unemployed resident of Homosassa, Florida, is an avid player of role-playing games such as 'Aliens Extermination' and 'Call of Duty' and he was playing one of these games when his son’s incessant crying started to annoy him.
The 24-year-old put his hand over the boy's mouth and nose for three minutes until the child, Daymeon, appeared exhausted and lethargic. He left him in the playpen and covered the child with several layers of bedding as he resumed his game, according to the Los Angeles Times. Wygant even watched three episodes of “Fringe” for about five hours before checking upon his son, who was by then blue and unresponsive.
"It is inconceivable that a father could kill his infant son - it just baffles the mind," Sheriff Jeff Dawsy told Associated Press, according to LA Times. "Our only sense of relief now comes from knowing that we did exactly what we needed to do to bring justice to him swiftly. Our prayers go out to those who knew and loved Daymeon."
Wygant has been charged with third-degree murder and child neglect and faces more than 10 years in prison if convicted of murder.
Reports have it that Wygnat was the primary care giver of the child, as his mother - Wygant’s girlfriend - was not at home when the incident occurred. The couple has a three-year-old daughter who is in the custody of the Department of Children and Families.
Citrus County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman, Heather Yates, told Reuters that Wygant recently moved to Florida from California where he has an extensive criminal history that includes rape as well as trespassing.
On Friday, a judge set bond at $100,000 for Wygant.
Photo credit: Wikimedia Commons/KdogDS
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Shocking Ice Bucket Challenge Video: Man Drenches 10-Month-Old Granddaughter, Video Garnered Angry And Appalled Comments From Viewers
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports