Florida Man Killed Crying Son to Play Video Games
By Keerthi Mohan | April 19, 2014 6:55 PM EST
A Florida man smothered his sixteen-month-old son because the toddler’s constant crying disturbed him as he played games on his Xbox and even watched television shows for five hours before noticing that the child was dead.
The frustrated Cody Wygant, an unemployed resident of Homosassa, Florida, is an avid player of role-playing games such as 'Aliens Extermination' and 'Call of Duty' and he was playing one of these games when his son’s incessant crying started to annoy him.
The 24-year-old put his hand over the boy's mouth and nose for three minutes until the child, Daymeon, appeared exhausted and lethargic. He left him in the playpen and covered the child with several layers of bedding as he resumed his game, according to the Los Angeles Times. Wygant even watched three episodes of “Fringe” for about five hours before checking upon his son, who was by then blue and unresponsive.
"It is inconceivable that a father could kill his infant son - it just baffles the mind," Sheriff Jeff Dawsy told Associated Press, according to LA Times. "Our only sense of relief now comes from knowing that we did exactly what we needed to do to bring justice to him swiftly. Our prayers go out to those who knew and loved Daymeon."
Wygant has been charged with third-degree murder and child neglect and faces more than 10 years in prison if convicted of murder.
Reports have it that Wygnat was the primary care giver of the child, as his mother - Wygant’s girlfriend - was not at home when the incident occurred. The couple has a three-year-old daughter who is in the custody of the Department of Children and Families.
Citrus County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman, Heather Yates, told Reuters that Wygant recently moved to Florida from California where he has an extensive criminal history that includes rape as well as trespassing.
On Friday, a judge set bond at $100,000 for Wygant.
Photo credit: Wikimedia Commons/KdogDS
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Fears Cause Hysteria In United States And Around The World
- Kate Middleton All Smiles In First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- Baby Corpses Found in Storage Locker in Canada
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia