2014 NBA Playoffs – Eastern Conference: Indiana Pacers vs. Atlanta Hawks Preview
By James Patrick Quizon | April 19, 2014 2:01 AM EST
Both the Pacers and Hawks have literally crawled to the finish line at the end of the 2013-2014 NBA regular season. Still, it was enough for Indiana to bag the first seed (over the Heat) and for Atlanta to nail the last spot in the conference (over the Knicks).
NBA: Atlanta Hawks at Indiana Pacers
The Pacers were pegged to challenge the Heat for the East title but doubts were cast as they struggled in March when they went 8-11 and in April when they went 4-3.
Still, Indiana did enough to get the top seed and is one of the best defensive teams in the league allowing only 92.3 points per game. The Hawks average 101.2 PPG (15th in the league) on 24.9 assists per game—the second best passing mark in the NBA.
Atlanta also struggled in March (6-11) but recovered nicely by April when they had 6 wins in 9 games including confidence-building victories over playoff squads Brooklyn Nets, Miami Heat and Pacers.
On offense, the Pacers will rely on Paul George (21.7 PPG and 6.8 RPG) and Lance Stephenson (13.8 PPG, 7.2 RPG and 4.6 APG) on the wings and Roy Hibbert (10.8 PPG and 2.2 BSPG) and David West (14.0 PPG and 6.8 RPG) inside the paint.
Meanwhile, the Hawks have Paul Millsap (17.9 PPG and 8.4 RPG), Jeff Teague (16.5 PPG and 7.6 APG) and Kyle Korver (12.0 PPG),
These teams split their season series, 2-2. The Hawks got the win in January with a score of 97-87 and the Pacers got the victories in February to the tune of 89-85 and 108-98. Atlanta won the most recent meeting, 107-88 last April 6.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales