'Damaal Dumeel' Review Roundup: Enjoyable Fun Ride; Worth a Watch
By sangeetha seshagiri | April 18, 2014 6:36 PM EST
Vaibhav-Remya Nambeesan's "Damaal Dumeel" has received positive reviews from critics.
Directed by newcomer Shree, "Damaal Dumeel" is a black-comedy thriller with a running time of 1 hour and 58 minutes.
Damaal Dumeel (Facebook/Damaal Dumeel)
The film's story: Moneykandan (Vaibhav) works in an IT company and earns huge sum of money. He lives in a lavish apartment, while his mother and sister live in another town. He has a beautiful girlfriend and leads a joyful life.
Moneykandan is a staunch believer of numerology and that's why he spells his name has "Money" kandan. Everything goes on fine until Moneykandan loses his job owing to the cost cutting measures by his IT company.
Moneykandan becomes unemployed and is worried about his financial commitments. In this situation, he finds a box that contains a huge sum at his doorstep. Moneykandan decides to flee the country with the money and start a new life.
The money belongs to notorious gangster Ilavarasu (Kota Srinivasa Rao) who had actually sent it for Kamatchi (Sayaje Shinde), counterfeit drug maker. The henchmen of both the villains are after Moneykandan. How he manages the situation forms the crux of the story.
Critics have appreciated the film's director Shree for coming up with an engaging screenplay. They have also praised the performances of Vaibhav, Kota Srinivasa Rao and Shayaji Shinde. Background score by music composer Thaman also has received accolades from the critics.
Here is the review roundup of "Damaal Dumeel"
According to Sify, "The film works due to its pace with a running time of 1 hour and 58 minutes, some smart writing and good music and BGM by SS Thaman. There are only 3 and half songs which are well woven into the plot, with Usha Uthup title song being the pick of the lot. The director has been able to pack in humour in tense situation and making it entertaining for the viewers."
M Suganth of Times of India has termed the film a worthy attempt. "Right in the opening shot - a burning match falling down in slow motion and its flames engulfing a document - we realize that we are in the hands of a competent filmmaker and Shree keeps things moving at a brisk pace till the end. Even the romantic track is used only in small doses and the director doesn't allow a possible melancholic moment to linger," he said.
Rajasekar of Cinemalead says, "Overall Damaal Dumeel gives you good fun right from the beginning, if the director concentrated on the emotional sequences and apt expressions from the lead actors then the film would have been ended as one of its kind in Tamil cinema."
According to Behindwoods Review Board, "Kota Srinivasa Rao and Shayaji Shindae, the friends who turn foes, for absolutely no fault of each other, are the savers of the movie. Their misinterpreted enmity drives the entire movie to its finaleand the film steps over its finish line after a colourful "Damaal Dumeel" in a paint factory. However, one might just begin to wonder the reason behind the ill will between the two antagonists. Well, you've got to watch the movie to find out."
Verdict: A good attempt by the debutante director Shree; Enjoyable fun ride that is worth watching.
Photo credit: Facebook/Damaal Dumeel
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron' Teaser Trailer: Fans' Cry At ‘Epic’ Footage, Vision Not Featured
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports