'Damaal Dumeel' Review Roundup: Enjoyable Fun Ride; Worth a Watch
By sangeetha seshagiri | April 18, 2014 6:36 PM EST
Vaibhav-Remya Nambeesan's "Damaal Dumeel" has received positive reviews from critics.
Directed by newcomer Shree, "Damaal Dumeel" is a black-comedy thriller with a running time of 1 hour and 58 minutes.
Damaal Dumeel (Facebook/Damaal Dumeel)
The film's story: Moneykandan (Vaibhav) works in an IT company and earns huge sum of money. He lives in a lavish apartment, while his mother and sister live in another town. He has a beautiful girlfriend and leads a joyful life.
Moneykandan is a staunch believer of numerology and that's why he spells his name has "Money" kandan. Everything goes on fine until Moneykandan loses his job owing to the cost cutting measures by his IT company.
Moneykandan becomes unemployed and is worried about his financial commitments. In this situation, he finds a box that contains a huge sum at his doorstep. Moneykandan decides to flee the country with the money and start a new life.
The money belongs to notorious gangster Ilavarasu (Kota Srinivasa Rao) who had actually sent it for Kamatchi (Sayaje Shinde), counterfeit drug maker. The henchmen of both the villains are after Moneykandan. How he manages the situation forms the crux of the story.
Critics have appreciated the film's director Shree for coming up with an engaging screenplay. They have also praised the performances of Vaibhav, Kota Srinivasa Rao and Shayaji Shinde. Background score by music composer Thaman also has received accolades from the critics.
Here is the review roundup of "Damaal Dumeel"
According to Sify, "The film works due to its pace with a running time of 1 hour and 58 minutes, some smart writing and good music and BGM by SS Thaman. There are only 3 and half songs which are well woven into the plot, with Usha Uthup title song being the pick of the lot. The director has been able to pack in humour in tense situation and making it entertaining for the viewers."
M Suganth of Times of India has termed the film a worthy attempt. "Right in the opening shot - a burning match falling down in slow motion and its flames engulfing a document - we realize that we are in the hands of a competent filmmaker and Shree keeps things moving at a brisk pace till the end. Even the romantic track is used only in small doses and the director doesn't allow a possible melancholic moment to linger," he said.
Rajasekar of Cinemalead says, "Overall Damaal Dumeel gives you good fun right from the beginning, if the director concentrated on the emotional sequences and apt expressions from the lead actors then the film would have been ended as one of its kind in Tamil cinema."
According to Behindwoods Review Board, "Kota Srinivasa Rao and Shayaji Shindae, the friends who turn foes, for absolutely no fault of each other, are the savers of the movie. Their misinterpreted enmity drives the entire movie to its finaleand the film steps over its finish line after a colourful "Damaal Dumeel" in a paint factory. However, one might just begin to wonder the reason behind the ill will between the two antagonists. Well, you've got to watch the movie to find out."
Verdict: A good attempt by the debutante director Shree; Enjoyable fun ride that is worth watching.
Photo credit: Facebook/Damaal Dumeel
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Nina Dobrev To Quit 'The Vampire Diaries' As She Feels 'Uneasy' Working With Ex Ian Somerhalder In Nikki Reed's Presence- Reports
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Bruce Wayne May Be In Trouble In Leaked Video [Spoilers]
- Season 4 ‘American Horror Story-Freak Show’ Update: Introduction Of Twisty The Clown Is ‘Brutal’ [VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Filming Spoilers: Beardless Rick Grimes Seems To Be On The Set
- Robert Pattinson Is Not Proposing FKA Twigs Plus What Kristen Stewart Thinks About RPatz's New Romance- Reports
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate