iPhone 6 Release Date: Mockup Leak Hints Early Launch of Flagship Smartphone [VIDEO]
By Raymond Ronamai | April 17, 2014 9:16 PM EST
Apple Inc. has not announced the release date of its upcoming flagship smartphone iPhone 6 but speculations on its unveiling event keep hitting the headlines. Now, a supposed mockup of the device has surfaced, hinting at an early launch.
File photo of Apple iPhone 5S being displayed at an Apple shop in Tokyo's Ginza shopping district
A number of vendors showcased iPhone 6 cases and accessories at the Hong Kong Electronics Fair 2014 (Spring Edition), organized by the Hong Kong Trade Development Council (HKTDC) earlier this week, according to Mac Otakara (via Google translate). It stated that metal mockups of the purported device were exhibited at the trade show and one of the booths even has a banner that reads "iPhone 6 COMING SOON" but has non-MFi lightning connector accessories.
Several conflicting reports on the release date of iPhone 6 have been doing the rounds despite Apple Inc. keeping mum on the matter. Mass production of the 4.7-inch model is expected to start in July, while the larger 5.5-inch variant will go into production a little later, reported Japanese website EMSOne (Google translation), citing Taiwanese newspaper, Industrial and Commercial Times.
A report by Nikkei claimed that the device would be launched as early as September, while a research note from UBS Managing Director Steve Milunovich (via Barron's) suggested that the 4.7-inch variant of iPhone 6 would be launched either in August or September but the 5.5-inch model may or may not be released at the same time.
However, Reuters had reported, citing sources from the supply chain, that Apple suppliers would start mass production displays for iPhone 6 as early as May, with the 4.7-inch screen model expected to be unveiled this autumn, and the 5.5-inch version a little later.
iPhone 6 is expected to come in two models with full scratch-free sapphire crystal glass screen. They may sport a 4.7/4.8 inch or 5.5 inch display with a 1920x1080p (440ppi), or a 2272×1280 (510ppi), powered by the A8 chip (64-bit) and run on iOS 7.2, according to South Korean brokerage KDB Daewoo Securities.
Chinese analyst Sun Chang Xu posted on her Weibo page, citing a friend from MEMS (microelectromechanical systems), that Apple is planning to introduce sensors that can detect pressure, temperature and humidity.
Hong Kong Electronics Fair 2014 : iPhone 6 mockup & case
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs. OnePlus One—Specifications, Features, Release Date and Price Showdown
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell
- Hilary Duff's New Music Video Chasing the Sun Goes Viral on YouTube [WATCH VIDEO]
- LeBron James to Return to Miami, Face Heat on Christmas Day 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report