‘2 States’ Reviews Roundup: Complete Entertainer Film
By Ankita Mehta | April 17, 2014 8:03 PM EST
Alia Bhatt and Arjun Kapoor's romantic film "2 States" critics' reviews are in the favour of the film. The romantic film based on Chetan Bhagat's best selling novel on the same name has received rave reviews from critics and people from film industry.
Alia Bhatt and Arjun Kapoor in '2 States'
The film has created quite a buzz when the first trailer and music was launched. It maintained that buzz till the release. The songs of the film are very catchy, especially "Offo", "Locha-E-Ulfat" and "Chaandaniyan".
The songs have helped the film to create the positive buzz among audiences. The film is expected to open with a bang due to Good Friday holiday across the country.
The film is directed by Abhishek Varman and produced by Karan Johar and Sajid Nadiadwala.
The film also features Ronit Roy, Amrita Singh, Shiv Kumar Subramaniam and Revathy in important roles.
Check out what critics, actors and directors have said about the film:
Sonakshi Sinha: "2 states... 2 cute!! Just saw the film, wonderful performances! 2 thumbs up"
Sujoy Ghosh: "if i start i'll go on forever but go see 2 STATES if you can. i loved it. the superb cast, music(oh the music!).. thank you abhishek varman"
Sarita A Tanwar: "Whether u have read d book or not (like me) I bet u will enjoy Two States (like I did). It's entertaining. Alia-Arjun r so good together."
Mahesh Bhatt: "2 States: ALIA is fantastic in a startlingly different role. But it is ARJUN who stole my heart & made me weep. He is a STAR! ITS A WINNER!"
Meena Iyer of The Times of India said: "2 States is a happy film (with measured anguish). Romance in cross-cultural or even cross-border situations isn't new to Bollywood. What makes 2 States work is the simple narrative told humorously. Adapted as it is, from one of author Chetan Bhagat's best-selling works, the film, just like the book before it, is light-hearted.
"Incidentally, for those in an inter-caste marriage, this movie could resonate like your own tale. The playful digs at each other's cultures, the self-deprecating remarks about one's family and community are all laugh-out-loud moments.
"If you are in a mood for a Bollywood family saga with measured melodrama and the right amount of naach-gaana, visit 2 States."
Taran Adarsh of Bollywood Hungama said: "Director Abhishek Varman stays faithful to Chetan Bhagat's bestseller, adapting it delightfully on the big screen. The diverse cultures, the discomfort and the pressures when people talk of inter-caste liaison, the unyielding love and the resolve to win the parents' trust... each and every aspect -- the emotions included -- are captured meticulously by the storyteller.
"2 STATES is a complete departure from the genre of films Arjun Kapoor has featured to date [ISHAQZAADE, AURANGZEB, GUNDAY]. This one is more real, demands that he shed the unwanted baggage of the conventional hero and interpret the character with complete understanding. Arjun steals the show with an effortless, charming and convincing portrayal.
"Also, post HIGHWAY, Alia gets yet another complex character to prove her mettle and she does a super job of interpreting her character with aplomb.
"On the whole, 2 STATES is one of the finest movies to come out of the Hindi film industry of late. This is one of those rare Hindi movies that commands a repeat viewing. Strongly recommended!"
Saurabh Dwivedi of India Today said: "The film is based on Chetan Bhagat's novel 2 States. In the story, Chetan Bhagat has successfully shown the forever prevailing differences over caste and religion. The film also reflects upon the classic issue of a youngster-the dilemma over choice of career and parental expectations.
"Chetan Bhagat has preserved the spirit of the novel. But it would have been better if preserving the spirit of the novel, he would played around with the screen-play, like 3 Idiots.
"2 States can be a good mirror for parents to understand their children. So take along your parents and enjoy the film."
Sarita A Tanwar of DNA said: "The best thing about Two States is that it is fresh -- in the casting, the approach, and the language. It's the kind of romcom that makes you go 'hmmm' rather than 'awwww.' The language spoken by all the characters is no different from one used by everyday people, and it's not like actors saying lines.
"In a film this real, one wishes the director had done away with sequences of the back-up dancers and syncronised dancing in the songs. It works beautifully when the songs play in the background and they take the story forward.
"The first half is light and breezy and the second dramatic and emotional, perhaps a better balance would have helped the post interval portion which seems heavy."
Mihir Fadnavis of Firstpost said: "This is supposed to be a feel good family entertainer, and on that front 2 States is targeted towards its audience with an ultra precision sniper. There's plenty of dynamics between South vs North India, and daddy issues to keep the target audience on their tenterhooks.
"Banana leaf and Punjabi daroo offer a few stray giggles but 2 States never comes close to being creative or witty. It's just a goofy impersonation of both cultures, not a classy roast of them.
"Dharma's trademark visual style and a few moments of comedy aside, 2 States is mostly a chore and periodically infuriating. The filmmakers had a chance to go against all odds and make a classic and they blew it. Critical appreciation might not be the film's target anyway, because it's been marketed well enough to make a truckload of money."
Image credit: Facebook/2states
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Bold And The Beautiful’ Spoilers For Aug. 22, 2014: Liam’s Confession About Paris To Hope And Deacon’s Revelation To Brooke In ‘B&B’ [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘The Bold And The Beautiful’ Spoilers For Aug. 21, 2014: A Party For Hope And Wyatt Affects Liam’s Pride In ‘B&B’ [WATCH VIDEO]
- Chuck Zito Apologises For Offensive Comment On Christy Mack Beating
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 1 Teaser Video: ‘What’s Coming Next’
- ‘True Blood’ Final Episode Thank You: Watch Sookie Ask Whether God Made Us All, Find Out Why 'True Blood' Is Ending [VIDEO]
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch