Toyota Hydrogen Car to Hit Market in 2015
By greeshma m | April 17, 2014 6:19 PM EST
Filephoto of a hydrogen nozzle plugged into a Toyota Fuel Cell Hybrid Vehicle during the Toyota Advanced Technologies media briefing in Tokyo
Toyota, the pioneer of gasoline-electric hybrid car has been struggling to introduce Hydrogen-powered cars in the market for quite some time now. Now, it has been confirmed that the company will launch a Hydrogen car in the United States, Japan and Europe in 2015.
The car, which is currently monikered as 2015 FC car, or Fuel cell car will resemble the FCV concept shown last year at the Tokyo Auto Show and will offer a range of 500 miles on a single tank of fuel.
2015 FC will use high density fuel stack and will have zero emission. Although the infrastructure and the safety issues still need to be addressed more seriously, Toyota could clear the stumbling blocks to some extent. However, the success of the car is still debated.
"Our unique hybrid history and experience have proven invaluable for the next big leap. Back in 2010, we promised our first fuel cell car for 2015 and we are fully on track to honour our commitment," thegreencar website quoted Karl Schlicht, Toyota's executive vice president in Europe. "Fuel cell is a technology that can secure our concept of personal mobility. That's because fuel cells combine the strengths of EVs and hybrids, with those of conventional cars. That means zero emissions - they only emit water vapour - and full usability; refueling only takes about three minutes."
Reports suggest that the Toyota is working hard on cost-cutting of the Hydrogen cars, thus to make it cheaper when it is launched. The company will introduce the Hydrogen cars in limited numbers initially. The auto majors like Hyundai and Honda are also following the footsteps of Toyota to introduce the all-new hydrogen cars into the auto world. Toyota is also joining hands with BMW for future fuel cell technologies and research.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- The IBM and Apple Merger: Will it Spell Trouble to Rival Companies
- CBA, NAB, Westpac in Fixed Rate War Offering Below 5% Interest
- Radio Australia Cuts to Affect Isolated Vanuatu Residents Who Rely on It for Weather Bulletins
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown