Lok Sabha Elections 2014: Polling Begins for 5th Phase, Brisk Voting in Early Hours
By Rama Mohan | April 17, 2014 4:47 PM EST
Polling began on a brisk note in India's 121 constituencies spread across 12 states in the fifth phase of Lok Sabha elections on 17 April 2014.
Indian Parliament (Reuters)
More than 195 million voters are expected to cast their votes on Thursday. There are 1,762 candidates in the fray.
Polling was underway in one constituency each in Jammu and Kashmir, Manipur, 28 in Karnataka, 20 in Rajasthan, 19 in Maharashtra, 11 each in Uttar Pradesh and Odisha, 10 in Madhya Pradesh, seven in Bihar, six in Jharkhand, four in West Bengal and three in Chhattisgarh.
Prominent candidates contesting the election are Nandan Nilekani of Congress, HN Ananatha Kumar of BJP, former prime minister HD Deve Gowda of JD(S), Union Minister M Veerappa Moily of Congress, Maneka Gandhi of BJP, NCP chief Sharad Pawar's daughter Supriya Sule, Lalu Prasad's eldest daughter Misa Bahrti of RJD, B Sriramulu of BJP, Narayan Rane' son Nilesh Rane of Congress in Maharashtra, Union Minister Susheelkumar Shinde of Congress, former Karnataka chief minister BS Yeddyurappa of BJP and former Maharashtra Chief Minister of Congress party Ashok Chavan.
In Karnataka, voting began at 7 am peacefully. More than 10 percent of voting was registered in the first two hours, according to reports.
The state's capital Bangalore witnessed long queues at polling booths during the early hours. Candidates contesting the polls like co-founder of Infosys Nandan Nilekani, C Narayanswamy of Congress and Infosys former CFO V Balakrisnnan of AAP were among voters who casted their votes in the early hours.
Meanwhile, in Andhra Pradesh, speculation was rife that cadre in Telugu Desam Party (TDP) was bringing pressure on the party chief Chandrababu Naidu to cancel the pre-poll alliance with Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in the Seemandhra region.
Naidu is said to be in parleys with BJP's prime ministerial nominee Narendra Modi on the issue.
BJP and TDP have got into a pre-poll tie-up in both Seemandhra and Telangana of AP in this general election. However, TDP cadre at lower-rung has been opposing the alliance with BJP in Seemandhra, as the regional party is very strong in the area when compared to BJP, say media reports.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Ideological Support Swells for Scottish Independence
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch Wants Putin's Daughter Maria Deported to Russia From Holland
- New Zealand and China Decide to Boost Defence Ties
- Gaza Crisis: 695 Dead & 4,500 Injured, UN Accuses Israel of War Crimes
- 3 Almost Believable Internet Theories on the Malaysia Airlines MH17 Crash
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- iPhone 6 Release Date in September 26 with Price Details and More Killer Features
- Apple iPad Mini Air: Three Fresh Features on the Smart Tablet to Wait for
- 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Release Date is Sept 26 after iOS 8 GM Public Debut on Sept 17 – Reports