Formula One News: Hamilton Eyeing Hat-Trick of Wins in Shanghai
By Tarish Bhatt | April 17, 2014 4:18 PM EST
Fresh from back-to-back victories, Lewis Hamilton will look to extend his winning streak to three in this weekend's Formula One Chinese Grand Prix at the Shanghai International Circuit.
Both Hamilton and Mercedes are looking forward to continuing their winning momentum and strengthening their grip in the world championship, on a circuit that is expected to favour the Silver Arrows.
Mercedes have won all three races of the season with two one-two finishes in Malaysia and Bahrain, with Hamilton's teammate Nico Rosberg winning the opening Australian GP and finishing second in the next two races behind the Brit.
Hamilton believes after an incredible weekend in Bahrain the whole team is focused on getting the maximum out of the car and building on the strong start to the season.
"It's been good to have a bit of a break after such a long stint away but I'm already looking forward to getting back in the car," Hamilton said. "The last race in Bahrain was fantastic, not just for us as a team but for the sport and I'm sure it won't be the last time we see a great show this year.
"I'm in a really good place at the moment and walking around the garage too, you can see the positive energy within the team right now. Everyone is focused on getting the maximum from these early races and continuing to build beyond the strong start we've made to the season.
Hamilton is the most successful driver in the Shanghai International Circuit with two wins. However, he blew away his championship hopes in his 2007 debut season with McLaren by going into the gravel trap.
The 29-year-old former world champion, who had finished last year's race in third place after starting from pole position, added the Shanghai track suits his driving style and he is getting stronger with every outing in China.
"I've had some ups and downs in China," he added. "On one side I've only finished outside of the podium places twice at this circuit. On the other, in my first season in Formula One I threw away a championship lead here by going into the gravel coming into the pits.
"Generally, though, I'm getting stronger every time I come to this track and it suits my driving style quite well. The aim, as always, is to win and if I could make it three in a row this weekend that would be incredible.
Mercedes currently lead the points table with 111 points, 67 points clear of second-placed Force India. In the drivers' championship Nico Rosberg (61 points) and Hamilton (50 points) are first and second, respectively.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics Schedule & Results
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]