Formula One News: Hamilton Eyeing Hat-Trick of Wins in Shanghai
By Tarish Bhatt | April 17, 2014 4:18 PM EST
Fresh from back-to-back victories, Lewis Hamilton will look to extend his winning streak to three in this weekend's Formula One Chinese Grand Prix at the Shanghai International Circuit.
Both Hamilton and Mercedes are looking forward to continuing their winning momentum and strengthening their grip in the world championship, on a circuit that is expected to favour the Silver Arrows.
Mercedes have won all three races of the season with two one-two finishes in Malaysia and Bahrain, with Hamilton's teammate Nico Rosberg winning the opening Australian GP and finishing second in the next two races behind the Brit.
Hamilton believes after an incredible weekend in Bahrain the whole team is focused on getting the maximum out of the car and building on the strong start to the season.
"It's been good to have a bit of a break after such a long stint away but I'm already looking forward to getting back in the car," Hamilton said. "The last race in Bahrain was fantastic, not just for us as a team but for the sport and I'm sure it won't be the last time we see a great show this year.
"I'm in a really good place at the moment and walking around the garage too, you can see the positive energy within the team right now. Everyone is focused on getting the maximum from these early races and continuing to build beyond the strong start we've made to the season.
Hamilton is the most successful driver in the Shanghai International Circuit with two wins. However, he blew away his championship hopes in his 2007 debut season with McLaren by going into the gravel trap.
The 29-year-old former world champion, who had finished last year's race in third place after starting from pole position, added the Shanghai track suits his driving style and he is getting stronger with every outing in China.
"I've had some ups and downs in China," he added. "On one side I've only finished outside of the podium places twice at this circuit. On the other, in my first season in Formula One I threw away a championship lead here by going into the gravel coming into the pits.
"Generally, though, I'm getting stronger every time I come to this track and it suits my driving style quite well. The aim, as always, is to win and if I could make it three in a row this weekend that would be incredible.
Mercedes currently lead the points table with 111 points, 67 points clear of second-placed Force India. In the drivers' championship Nico Rosberg (61 points) and Hamilton (50 points) are first and second, respectively.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet