'X-Men' Director Bryan Singer Accused of Sexually Abusing Teen: Is Lawsuit a Publicity Stunt?
By Keerthi Mohan | April 17, 2014 4:12 PM EST
Bryan Singer, the director of “Superman Returns” and “X-Men” films, has been accused of sexually assaulting an underage boy in 1999 and a lawsuit has been filed against the filmmaker in Hawaii.
Franz Richter/Wikimedia Common
The plaintiff is Michael Egan, a heterosexual model and aspiring actor who was 17 when Singer allegedly raped and forcibly gave him drugs and alcohol, according to reports.
The openly gay director even flew Egan to Hawaii for sexual favors on more than one occasion.
Singer is yet to comment on the lawsuit.
However, Singer’s attorney Marty Singer believes that there is no truth to these claims, and believes that the lawsuit is merely a publicity stunt.
“The claims made against Bryan Singer are completely without merit," the lawyer told The Hollywood Reporter. "We are very confident that Bryan will be vindicated in this absurd and defamatory lawsuit.
"It is obvious that this case was filed in an attempt to get publicity at the time when Bryan' s new movie (X-Men: Days of Future Past) is about to open in a few weeks," he added.
Singer’s "X-Men: Days of Future Past" opens in theaters on May 23.
Egan, a Nevada resident, stated in the lawsuit that Singer and his pals in the entertainment industry threatened to ruin his Hollywood aspirations if Egan failed to keep them happy. Now, Egan is seeking compensation in unspecified amounts for causing emotional distress, battery and sexual assault among other charges as he never “freely, voluntarily and knowingly consented to these sexual interactions, and often resisted them.”
“Hollywood has a problem with the sexual exploitation of children,” said Egan’s attorney, Jeff Herman, to The Hollywood Reporter. “This is the first of many cases I will be filing to give these victims a voice and to expose the issue.”
Herman is the same lawyer who represented the plaintiffs who accused “Sesame Street” Elmo puppeteer Kevin Clash of sexually assaulting them.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- USA Defeats Lithuania, 96-68; Americans Advance To Championship Round Of 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘America’s Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Finale Performance Episode Recap, Spoilers: 6 Finalists Perform Their Last Acts To Win Finals
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Winner Predictions: Fellow Contestants And Betting Odds Predict Who Could Win Mirror Ball Trophy
- ‘American Horror Story’ Season 4 ‘Freak Show’ Update: Skyler Samuels Roped In To Play Pivotal Role, Extended Teaser Released [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson And FKA Twigs Romance: Singer’s Twitter Post Sparks Pregnancy Reports Speculating The Couple Is Expecting Their First Baby
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoilers: Nine Moments From Episode 1, The Locomotion Interruption
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers