'X-Men' Director Bryan Singer Accused of Sexually Abusing Teen: Is Lawsuit a Publicity Stunt?
By Keerthi Mohan | April 17, 2014 4:12 PM EST
Bryan Singer, the director of “Superman Returns” and “X-Men” films, has been accused of sexually assaulting an underage boy in 1999 and a lawsuit has been filed against the filmmaker in Hawaii.
Franz Richter/Wikimedia Common
The plaintiff is Michael Egan, a heterosexual model and aspiring actor who was 17 when Singer allegedly raped and forcibly gave him drugs and alcohol, according to reports.
The openly gay director even flew Egan to Hawaii for sexual favors on more than one occasion.
Singer is yet to comment on the lawsuit.
However, Singer’s attorney Marty Singer believes that there is no truth to these claims, and believes that the lawsuit is merely a publicity stunt.
“The claims made against Bryan Singer are completely without merit," the lawyer told The Hollywood Reporter. "We are very confident that Bryan will be vindicated in this absurd and defamatory lawsuit.
"It is obvious that this case was filed in an attempt to get publicity at the time when Bryan' s new movie (X-Men: Days of Future Past) is about to open in a few weeks," he added.
Singer’s "X-Men: Days of Future Past" opens in theaters on May 23.
Egan, a Nevada resident, stated in the lawsuit that Singer and his pals in the entertainment industry threatened to ruin his Hollywood aspirations if Egan failed to keep them happy. Now, Egan is seeking compensation in unspecified amounts for causing emotional distress, battery and sexual assault among other charges as he never “freely, voluntarily and knowingly consented to these sexual interactions, and often resisted them.”
“Hollywood has a problem with the sexual exploitation of children,” said Egan’s attorney, Jeff Herman, to The Hollywood Reporter. “This is the first of many cases I will be filing to give these victims a voice and to expose the issue.”
Herman is the same lawyer who represented the plaintiffs who accused “Sesame Street” Elmo puppeteer Kevin Clash of sexually assaulting them.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Leaked Image Of New Villain Clutching Red Lightsaber [Spoilers]
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- 'The Big Bang Theory' Season 8 Episode 7 Spoilers: Penny Takes Off Her Ring In The Misinterpretation Agitation [VIDEO]
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy