'X-Men' Director Bryan Singer Accused of Sexually Abusing Teen: Is Lawsuit a Publicity Stunt?
By Keerthi Mohan | April 17, 2014 4:12 PM EST
Bryan Singer, the director of “Superman Returns” and “X-Men” films, has been accused of sexually assaulting an underage boy in 1999 and a lawsuit has been filed against the filmmaker in Hawaii.
Franz Richter/Wikimedia Common
The plaintiff is Michael Egan, a heterosexual model and aspiring actor who was 17 when Singer allegedly raped and forcibly gave him drugs and alcohol, according to reports.
The openly gay director even flew Egan to Hawaii for sexual favors on more than one occasion.
Singer is yet to comment on the lawsuit.
However, Singer’s attorney Marty Singer believes that there is no truth to these claims, and believes that the lawsuit is merely a publicity stunt.
“The claims made against Bryan Singer are completely without merit," the lawyer told The Hollywood Reporter. "We are very confident that Bryan will be vindicated in this absurd and defamatory lawsuit.
"It is obvious that this case was filed in an attempt to get publicity at the time when Bryan' s new movie (X-Men: Days of Future Past) is about to open in a few weeks," he added.
Singer’s "X-Men: Days of Future Past" opens in theaters on May 23.
Egan, a Nevada resident, stated in the lawsuit that Singer and his pals in the entertainment industry threatened to ruin his Hollywood aspirations if Egan failed to keep them happy. Now, Egan is seeking compensation in unspecified amounts for causing emotional distress, battery and sexual assault among other charges as he never “freely, voluntarily and knowingly consented to these sexual interactions, and often resisted them.”
“Hollywood has a problem with the sexual exploitation of children,” said Egan’s attorney, Jeff Herman, to The Hollywood Reporter. “This is the first of many cases I will be filing to give these victims a voice and to expose the issue.”
Herman is the same lawyer who represented the plaintiffs who accused “Sesame Street” Elmo puppeteer Kevin Clash of sexually assaulting them.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Grimes’ Group To Capture Cops In Episode 7 – ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- 'Revenge' Season 4 Spoilers: Daniel, Emily In Twisted Friendship; David Clarke Mystery Growing (Review, Updates)
- ‘Days Of Our Lives’ (DOOL) Nov. 24 – 28 Spoilers: JJ Decides, Melanie Confronts Chad And Daniel And Nicole Reconcile
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues