'X-Men' Director Bryan Singer Accused of Sexually Abusing Teen: Is Lawsuit a Publicity Stunt?
By Keerthi Mohan | April 17, 2014 4:12 PM EST
Bryan Singer, the director of “Superman Returns” and “X-Men” films, has been accused of sexually assaulting an underage boy in 1999 and a lawsuit has been filed against the filmmaker in Hawaii.
Franz Richter/Wikimedia Common
The plaintiff is Michael Egan, a heterosexual model and aspiring actor who was 17 when Singer allegedly raped and forcibly gave him drugs and alcohol, according to reports.
The openly gay director even flew Egan to Hawaii for sexual favors on more than one occasion.
Singer is yet to comment on the lawsuit.
However, Singer’s attorney Marty Singer believes that there is no truth to these claims, and believes that the lawsuit is merely a publicity stunt.
“The claims made against Bryan Singer are completely without merit," the lawyer told The Hollywood Reporter. "We are very confident that Bryan will be vindicated in this absurd and defamatory lawsuit.
"It is obvious that this case was filed in an attempt to get publicity at the time when Bryan' s new movie (X-Men: Days of Future Past) is about to open in a few weeks," he added.
Singer’s "X-Men: Days of Future Past" opens in theaters on May 23.
Egan, a Nevada resident, stated in the lawsuit that Singer and his pals in the entertainment industry threatened to ruin his Hollywood aspirations if Egan failed to keep them happy. Now, Egan is seeking compensation in unspecified amounts for causing emotional distress, battery and sexual assault among other charges as he never “freely, voluntarily and knowingly consented to these sexual interactions, and often resisted them.”
“Hollywood has a problem with the sexual exploitation of children,” said Egan’s attorney, Jeff Herman, to The Hollywood Reporter. “This is the first of many cases I will be filing to give these victims a voice and to expose the issue.”
Herman is the same lawyer who represented the plaintiffs who accused “Sesame Street” Elmo puppeteer Kevin Clash of sexually assaulting them.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy 2’ Nebula Is Alive And James Gunn Wants Fans To See More Of Her
- Selena Gomez And Justin Bieber: Songstress Fears Pregnancy After Experiencing Pregnancy Symptoms—Report
- 'American Horror Story' Season 4 Episode 8 Spoilers: Big Twist Features Dandy In Blood Bath
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Katey Sagal On Gemma Teller’s Fate in ‘Red Rose’ [VIDEO]
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast