Lunar Eclipse’s ‘Blood Moon’ to Grace the Sky 3 More Times—Scientists
By Jenille Cristy Maido | April 17, 2014 3:32 PM EST
The "blood moon" which graced the skies early morning of April 15 had drawn astronomers, enthusiasts and a lot of people around the world. While the news about it had been repeatedly played on the television and were becoming viral on the internet, some people who may have failed to witness the spectacular red coloured moon may be able to see it again once this year and twice in 2015.
There are two lunar eclipses that happen every year. One is partial eclipse which happen when the moon passes only in a part of the Earth's shadow and the other is penumbral eclipse which happen when the moon barely occupies the shadow of the Earth. What is unique about the "blood moon" is that one can only see it during a total lunar eclipse. A total lunar eclipse happens when the Earth is in between the sun and the moon. The earth covers the light from the sun which creates Earth's shadow where the Earth's atmosphere bends the sun illumination thus giving the moon a unique orangey or bloody color.
The April 15 phenomenon was seen by many. Some took pictures and video of it and shared it over the internet. Some even did a live broadcast of the astronomical event.
While the "blood moon" became a worldwide trend, a lot of people failed to witness the astronomical event. But scientists and astronomers have a good news for enthusiasts. According to the experts, the moon will be bloody red three times once more in the next 18 months.
The April phenomenon where the moon shines red is a part of the lunar eclipse called 'terrad'. It happens as a series of four consecutive total lunar eclipses in about six-month intervals.
This year, the "blood moon" is expected to reappear on October 8 at about 6 in the morning. The other appearances will be on April 4, 2015 and September 28, 2015.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighting in Australia: A Mysterious 'Flying' Object With Changing Colors Observed[Watch Video]
- Volcano Eruption In Iceland: Lava Erupts More Than 50 Meters High, Prompts Aviation Alert [Video]
- Stargazing: Saturn, Moon and Mars Meet Up Last August 31
- Bad Memories Can be Changed into Good Ones, Say Scientists
- Walking Fish Reveal How Our Ancestors Evolved Onto Land (Watch Video)
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans