Scientists to Develop Artificial Blood in Factories: Is it Safe For Blood Transfusion?
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | April 17, 2014 3:27 PM EST
Imagine a scenario when a totally incapacitated man with blood all over him, suddenly walks up to you. Will you scream because of so much blood or will you actually pity him and maybe even extend some help? But check first for this might just be fake blood.
Fake blood has been widely used in television and movies for scenes like death or accidents requiring an almost real-looking blood to ooze out.
There are chemistry trick videos posted on YouTube that use chemicals to create a reaction that looks similar to real blood. Otherwise, simpler methods like mixing cornstarch and food color may do the trick.
But with the latest breakthrough in technology, not only blood for the showbusiness industry can be produced. Recently, scientists discover a way to formulate "artificial blood" safe for transfusion into human being through a devised technique.
It might be a hard thing to believe since we have been born to differentiate blood into two types: fake (movies) and real (human blood). This time, though, scientists are gearing toward a stem cell research that can mass produce blood artificially for actual and safe transfusion.
"Although similar research has been conducted elsewhere, this is the first time anybody has manufactured blood to the appropriate quality and safety standards for transfusion into a human being," Prof. Marc Turner, chief researcher of the project, told Telegraph.
According to the report, Wellcome Trust in UK is funding the research. Prof. Turner reportedly devised a technique to culture red blood cells from induced pluripotent stem (iPS) cells.
"The iPS cells are those that have been taken from humans and considered 'rewound' into stem cells. Biochemical conditions similar to those in the human body are then recreated to induce the iPS cells to mature into red blood cells - of the rare universal blood type O," the report said.
"Although blood banks are well-stocked in the UK and transfusion has been largely safe since the Hepatitis B and HIV infections of the 1970s and 1980s, many parts of the world still have problems with transfusing blood," Turner added.
In a March 2014 updated report from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in the U.S., fatalities that were reported from Oct. 1, 2011 to Sept. 30, 2012, following blood collection and transfusion have reached 88, wherein 74 were from transfusion and 14 were from post-donation.
The new breakthrough in technology will apparently give a lot of benefits as the technique mentioned aims to provide an unlimited supply of factory-manufactured type-O blood, safe and very much compatible to humans.
WATCH: Make Fake Blood Cuts (Chemistry Trick)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Miranda Kerr Broke Her Silence: Not Pregnant With James Packard’s Baby [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Immediate Deaths After Ice Bucket Challenge Are Hoaxes Gone Viral: Neck Injury And Hypothermia Killed Two People Performing The Stunt
- Risky Selfies That Were Taken A Few Seconds Before Tragedy Struck
- ISIS Update: Executioner of James Foley with British Accent Identified as ‘John’
- ISIS Beheading US Journalist James Foley Sparks Outrage, Netizens Demand 'All-Out War'
- Viral Video Missouri Mall: Back-To-School Promo Of East Hills Mall In Missouri Goes Viral As Terrible Mall Ad [WATCH VIDEO]
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists