Canadian Man Likely to Go Through 'Psychiatric Assessment' After Stabbing 5 Youngsters to Death
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | April 17, 2014 3:03 PM EST
Matthew de Grood, 22, who was accused to stab five youngsters in Canada to death on April 15, is set to undertake psychiatric assessment.
Calgary police told CTV News the Calgary house party suspect would likely be assessed on a psychiatric level after the stabbing incident.
de Grood has been charged with five counts of first degree murder which he committed in a house party celebrating the final day of university days for students.
Calgary Police Chief Rick Hanson confirmed on Wednesday that the newly graduate would probably go through psychiatric assessment. Hanson earlier called the incident as the "worst mass murder" in Calgary's history.
According to his neighbors, it was the celebration of "Bermuda Shorts Day" organized by Calgary student union. It was a typical celebration that usually takes place every year on the final day of classes at University of Calgary.
The authorities said there was no indication that de Grood was anyway provoked to do the stabbing incident. It is still unclear why he stabbed those people to death. Investigators are currently probing what might have caused the incident.
The police will be "interviewing and re-interviewing the victims," according to Hanson. He said computers and phones, which Matthew had access to, would be looked through as well.
He added there was "a lot of work" which needed to be done. The main confusion in the incident was that there was no confrontation reported in the party.
Matthew apparently brought the weapon with him when he came to the party. Some other sources said he got the weapon from the house itself.
Matthew's father who has served the police force for 33 years was reportedly "heartbroken" and "devastated."
His family said they felt "so bad" for the victims and their families. University of Calgary President Elizabeth Cannon asked for a moment of silence to pay tribute to the deceased. He called the victims as "bright, promising and beautiful young people."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos and Fellatio Video Hacker Could Face 10 Years In Prison
- Incest Charges For Georgia Siblings Who Had Sex Thrice After Watching The Notebook
- 3 Years Jail In Australian Prison For Former Playboy Model Brandi Brandt Over Cocaine Smugglng
- X-Men Director Bryan Singer Faces Sexual Assault Charges From 21-Year-Old Virginia Man
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen