Boxing News 2014: Amir Khan Inks Contract With Mayweather Adviser, Boosts Chance of Bout With Money May
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 17, 2014 3:02 PM EST
British boxer Amir Khan is dead set on fighting Floyd Mayweather Jr even if Money May glossed over him in favour of Argentinian boxer Marcos Maidana. To ensure better chances he would be picked for Mayweather's remaining matches until the unbeaten boxer retires, Khan signed with Al Haymon, the boxing adviser of Money May.
Amir Khan will not fight Devon Alexander on December 7. [Reuters]
Khan's bout against Luis Collazo would also serve as the undercard fight on May 3 at MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada, when Mayweather takes on Maidana.
Khan said, "I am very happy to have signed with Al Haymon who has not only shown that he is a very astute businessman but is extremely knowledgeable of the fight game and always has his fighters' best interest at heart. I'm looking forward to building a long and successful relationship during this exciting stage of my career."
In spite of inking a contract with Haymon, Khan didn't drop his previous promoter, Gold Boy, even if it failed to secure him the Mayweather fight despite signing a contract.
Khan's spokesman said the boxer will still be promoted by Golden Boy, while Haymon would provide advice on fights and help steer Khan's career to move forward. But signing with Haymon is not a guarantee that Mayweather would agree to a bout with Khan.
Boxing fans, though are pushing for a Mayweather-Pacquiao bout, but sports experts believe it would remain a dream match for various reasons, including the approach of both pound-for-pound kings to retirement since they are already 37 and 35, respectively.
Khan is only 27 with a record of 31 fights, 28 of which are wins and 19 by knockouts. He has 3 losses, 2 are KOs.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]