Australian Stock Market Report – Midday 4/17/14
By Steven Daghlian, CommSec Market Analyst | April 17, 2014 2:27 PM EST
The Australian sharemarket is rising for the third straight day, driven by firmer global markets overnight. The All Ordinaries Index (XAO) is still above 5400pts this shortened trading week.
Asian Shares Bounce from 4-week low (Reuters).
Quarterly production reports from oil and gas producers Woodside Petroleum (WPL) and Santos (STO) have both been issued this morning. WPL shares are up 0.8 per cent as Australia's second largest oil and gas producer recorded a 5 per cent rise in production over the year. Revenue has surged by 16 per cent and WPL has maintained estimates for FY14.
Santos (STO) is flat despite reporting a 7 per cent slump in production between January and March. Weaker gas production and a fall in prices have pushed output and revenue lower. STO has maintained its FY14 guidance.
This has been a big week for production reports, with BHP Billiton (BHP), Rio Tinto (RIO), Fortescue Metals (FMG) and OZ Minerals (OZL) all issuing their quarterly numbers. BHP is up 1 per cent this week, RIO is down 0.89 per cent, FMG has improved by 0.95 per cent while OZL is 1.79 per cent firmer.
The big four banks are among the biggest contributors to the gains, adding almost 9pts to the All Ordinaries Index.
Newly listed firm Japara Healthcare (JHC) is up 28 per cent on its debut. JP Morgan is the largest shareholder of the firm, holding 13.42 per cent of JHC. Institutional investors hold a large chunk of the firm.
Lighting products retailer, Beacon Lighting (BLX) is flat after an extremely strong start to trade on Tuesday. BLX shares are up more than 60 per cent this week.
On the economic front, motor vehicle sales, detailed labour force data and an update on imports over March are out today.
The Australian dollar currently buys US93.7c; only modestly weaker than this time last week.
At lunch, 825.5 million shares have changed hands worth $2.04 billion. 490 stocks are higher, 316 are in the red and 287 are unchanged.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 23, 2014
- Major European & U.S. Airlines Cancel Flights to Israel after Rocket Attack on Tel Aviv Airport
- Alibaba Okays Yahoo Request to Sell 140 Million Shares Via IPO, 68 Million to Be Sold to Shareholders
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 24, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report –Afternoon July 24, 2014
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon