‘Game of Thrones' Season 4: ‘Purple Wedding’ Breaks Torrent Record
By Riza Ornos | April 17, 2014 2:15 PM EST
According to "Game of Thrones" author George R.R. Martin, he knew from the beginning that King Joffrey would die. Thanks to Joffrey's much celebrated "Purple Wedding," HBO's epic fantasy series "Game of Thrones" Season 4 episode "The Lion and the Rose" has broken Torrent's record for most people simultaneously sharing a file through BitTorrent.
The famous "Purple Wedding" attracted more than 193,000 downloads the night after it was shown on HBO. After its initial broadcast, "The Lion and the Rose" aka the "Purple Wedding" has roughly 1.5 million people downloading the episode by the end of its first day.
After the shock of GOT Season 3's "Red Wedding," "Purple Wedding" is expected to ignite fans interest as the show's most hated character is going to meet his tragic end. People around the seven continents gathered around various pirated websites to get copies of the most talked about wedding, breaking the record of BitTorrent swarm in the process.
"The stats reflect the ever-growing trend of illegally streaming and downloading TV shows on online for free instead of paying for them through more traditional subscription models," according to The Independent.
The previous record was also set by the same show with 171,572 people sharing the same file on a single tracker, and that is GOT Season 3's finale or better known as the "Red Wedding." After the explosive first day, the "Purple Wedding" is a likely candidate to be hailed as the most-downloaded TV-show at the end of the year.
"Data gathered during the first 12 hours after the release last week revealed that most downloaders came from Australia, followed by the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada and The Netherlands," TorrentFreak reports. "The current record probably won't last for long. The show's ratings generally go up throughout the season, and so do the unauthorized downloads."
Based on GOT director Alex Graves, season 4's finale will be the "episode to end all episodes." This could only mean that the current record of the show will not stay long for there will be more twists that its fans could imagine.
Watch out for "Game of Thrones" Season 4, Episode 3 "Breakers of Chains."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Nina Dobrev To Quit 'The Vampire Diaries' As She Feels 'Uneasy' Working With Ex Ian Somerhalder In Nikki Reed's Presence- Reports
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Bruce Wayne May Be In Trouble In Leaked Video [Spoilers]
- Season 4 ‘American Horror Story-Freak Show’ Update: Introduction Of Twisty The Clown Is ‘Brutal’ [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson Is Not Proposing FKA Twigs Plus What Kristen Stewart Thinks About RPatz's New Romance- Reports
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 29, 2014: Brooke Must Decide If She Will Continue With Her Plans Of Marrying Bill [WATCH VIDEO]
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate