‘Game of Thrones' Season 4: ‘Purple Wedding’ Breaks Torrent Record
By Riza Ornos | April 17, 2014 2:15 PM EST
According to "Game of Thrones" author George R.R. Martin, he knew from the beginning that King Joffrey would die. Thanks to Joffrey's much celebrated "Purple Wedding," HBO's epic fantasy series "Game of Thrones" Season 4 episode "The Lion and the Rose" has broken Torrent's record for most people simultaneously sharing a file through BitTorrent.
The famous "Purple Wedding" attracted more than 193,000 downloads the night after it was shown on HBO. After its initial broadcast, "The Lion and the Rose" aka the "Purple Wedding" has roughly 1.5 million people downloading the episode by the end of its first day.
After the shock of GOT Season 3's "Red Wedding," "Purple Wedding" is expected to ignite fans interest as the show's most hated character is going to meet his tragic end. People around the seven continents gathered around various pirated websites to get copies of the most talked about wedding, breaking the record of BitTorrent swarm in the process.
"The stats reflect the ever-growing trend of illegally streaming and downloading TV shows on online for free instead of paying for them through more traditional subscription models," according to The Independent.
The previous record was also set by the same show with 171,572 people sharing the same file on a single tracker, and that is GOT Season 3's finale or better known as the "Red Wedding." After the explosive first day, the "Purple Wedding" is a likely candidate to be hailed as the most-downloaded TV-show at the end of the year.
"Data gathered during the first 12 hours after the release last week revealed that most downloaders came from Australia, followed by the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada and The Netherlands," TorrentFreak reports. "The current record probably won't last for long. The show's ratings generally go up throughout the season, and so do the unauthorized downloads."
Based on GOT director Alex Graves, season 4's finale will be the "episode to end all episodes." This could only mean that the current record of the show will not stay long for there will be more twists that its fans could imagine.
Watch out for "Game of Thrones" Season 4, Episode 3 "Breakers of Chains."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers For Sept. 22-26, 2014: Consequences Of The Crichton-Clark Blast
- 'Downton Abbey' Spoilers: 'Surprising New Stories' In Season 5, George Clooney's Cameo Appearance
- Ryan Gosling And Eva Mendes Gushes Over Newborn Daughter
- Nude Lady Gaga Turns Greek Goddess In A Sea Shell Bra And Pair Of Thongs: Shares Racy Photos From Her Bathroom
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Samsung SM-A500 (aka Wallet-Friendly Galaxy Alpha) Clears TENAA Revealing Images And Specs
- Amazon Announces Kindle Fire HD 6, Kindle Fire HD 7 Tablets; Official Release Date Is Oct 2
- 'ISIL Has To Be Defeated, Plain And Simple, End Of Story,' Sen. John Kerry
- Chinese Property Developer Flees To New Zealand After China Arrests Vice-Mayor For Corrupt Deals
- Amazon Announces 7 New Kindles: Upgraded Amazon 8.9-inch Kindle Fire HDX Available Now On Pre-order