EPL Results: Manchester City's Title Hopes Fade Further After Draw with Sunderland
By Deepak Vikraman | April 17, 2014 2:08 PM EST
Liverpool were given another huge lift towards picking up their first league title in 24 years after Manchester City could only manage a 2-2 draw, and that too a last-gasp one, against bottom side Sunderland on Wednesday night.
City looked to be on course for another big English Premier League victory at the Etihad after Fernandinho gave the home side the lead inside two minutes, finding the target at the near post after a nice dummy from Alvaro Negredo caught out Sunderland.
Sunderland, though, were far from overawed by the early goal, taking the game to City, and John O'Shea should have put the away team back level a couple of minutes later, with the former Manchester United defender firing a free header off an Adam Johnson freekick wide.
O'Shea had another chance soon after as Sunderland kept the pressure on City, with Johnson, in particular, looking keen to dent his former side one more time.
However, the score remained 1-0 at halftime, and City, far from their best, particularly in the attacking third, looked to be holding on for a nervy win, before Connor Wickham struck in the 73rd minute, getting on the end of an outstanding Emanuele Giaccherini cross. The Italian would set Wickham up again, sending the Sunderland striker through on goal ten minutes later, with Wickham finding a way past Joe Hart's near post to put Sunderland 2-1 up.
Three points would not have been undeserved by any stretch of the imagination for Sunderland, and they would have walked away from Manchester with the most precious of wins had it not been for Samir Nasri, whose strike in the 88th minute, was spilled by former Arsenal teammate Vito Mannone, with the ball, agonisingly for Sunderland, trickling past the line.
Nasri had a glorious chance a minute later to snatch a stunning win for City, but the midfielder struck his shot over the bar as Sunderland breathed again, taking home a point they would have settled for at the beginning of the game.
"The message we wanted to send is that we're still here, still prepared to battle and fight for this football club and I think we did that tonight," said Sunderland manager Gus Poyet, whose side are on 26 points from 33 games, six adrift of safety.
"We conceded a goal after two minutes, but that doesn't matter, we're the same team and you have to go out there and continue to play the way you know you can. We didn't give up or collapse, we kept believing, kept going and kept creating chances and we nearly won the game."
Manchester City had their title chances taken out of their hands following the 3-2 defeat to Liverpool on Sunday, and they now become third favourites for the Premier League crown following the draw, with Liverpool and Chelsea now six points and four points clear of City, who do have a game in hand, respectively.
"Of course, our chances are now less," City manager Manuel Pellegrini said. "Three points was very important for us tonight, but we will continue fighting."I don't think we played with any less confidence following the game against Liverpool. We have five games more in which to play. Liverpool has a better chance than us and Chelsea but we will continue fighting until the end.
"Before the match I was worried about this game. Playing against a team fighting relegation is very difficult and we had only four days to get over the Liverpool game.
"At the end of the season we will analyse. We have five games more to play and we will continue to have chances. My duty is now to talk to the players and to win the last five games. This team was six points behind the leaders two years ago and won the title."
Meanwhile, in the other game of the night, Crystal Palace picked up an impressive 3-2 victory over Everton at Goodison Park, a result which kept Arsenal in fourth with destiny, for the final Champions League place, back in their own hands.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase