Canada Mass Stabbings: Son Faces Murder Charges, Cop Father 'Devastated'
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | April 17, 2014 12:49 PM EST
A son of a well-respected Calgary Police Service officer has been charged with first degree murder for the mass stabbings of five people at a house party in Brentwood, Calgary.
Matthew Douglas de Grood, who recently graduated from the University of Calgary with a degree in psychology and law and society, is the son of Inspector Doug de Grood who has been with the Calgary Police Service for 33 years.
Police prepare to enter a house where five people were stabbed in the early morning hours in Calgary, Alberta, April 15, 2014. Three people died on the scene of the crime while two others died in hospital. The police have one person in custody. REUTERS/Todd Korol
"This is the worst mass murder in Calgary's history," Rick Hanson, Calgary police chief, said at a news conference.
"We have never seen five people killed by an individual at one scene. The scene was horrific."
The young de Grood executed the stabbing spree shortly after arriving at the party. Using a large knife, he stabbed the victims one by one shortly aabout 1 a.m. Tuesday.
The identities of the five victims, four men and a woman, will be released once the autopsies are finished. They are aged between 22 and 27 and were all "good kids."
Hanson said none of the victims nor the young de Grood had any prior involvement with the police.
The motive behind the Calgary attack remains unknown. The elder de Grood and his wife, described as both "incredibly cooperative in the investigation," were utterly shattered over the incident.
"He is absolutely devastated, he's heartbroken, as his wife is," Hanson said. "They feel so much pain."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Shocking Ice Bucket Challenge Video: Man Drenches 10-Month-Old Granddaughter, Video Garnered Angry And Appalled Comments From Viewers
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen