Canada Mass Stabbings: Son Faces Murder Charges, Cop Father 'Devastated'
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | April 17, 2014 12:49 PM EST
A son of a well-respected Calgary Police Service officer has been charged with first degree murder for the mass stabbings of five people at a house party in Brentwood, Calgary.
Matthew Douglas de Grood, who recently graduated from the University of Calgary with a degree in psychology and law and society, is the son of Inspector Doug de Grood who has been with the Calgary Police Service for 33 years.
Police prepare to enter a house where five people were stabbed in the early morning hours in Calgary, Alberta, April 15, 2014. Three people died on the scene of the crime while two others died in hospital. The police have one person in custody. REUTERS/Todd Korol
"This is the worst mass murder in Calgary's history," Rick Hanson, Calgary police chief, said at a news conference.
"We have never seen five people killed by an individual at one scene. The scene was horrific."
The young de Grood executed the stabbing spree shortly after arriving at the party. Using a large knife, he stabbed the victims one by one shortly aabout 1 a.m. Tuesday.
The identities of the five victims, four men and a woman, will be released once the autopsies are finished. They are aged between 22 and 27 and were all "good kids."
Hanson said none of the victims nor the young de Grood had any prior involvement with the police.
The motive behind the Calgary attack remains unknown. The elder de Grood and his wife, described as both "incredibly cooperative in the investigation," were utterly shattered over the incident.
"He is absolutely devastated, he's heartbroken, as his wife is," Hanson said. "They feel so much pain."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Fears Cause Hysteria In United States And Around The World
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess All Smiles In First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Baby Corpses Found in Storage Locker in Canada
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop