Canada Mass Stabbings: Son Faces Murder Charges, Cop Father 'Devastated'
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | April 17, 2014 12:49 PM EST
A son of a well-respected Calgary Police Service officer has been charged with first degree murder for the mass stabbings of five people at a house party in Brentwood, Calgary.
Matthew Douglas de Grood, who recently graduated from the University of Calgary with a degree in psychology and law and society, is the son of Inspector Doug de Grood who has been with the Calgary Police Service for 33 years.
Police prepare to enter a house where five people were stabbed in the early morning hours in Calgary, Alberta, April 15, 2014. Three people died on the scene of the crime while two others died in hospital. The police have one person in custody. REUTERS/Todd Korol
"This is the worst mass murder in Calgary's history," Rick Hanson, Calgary police chief, said at a news conference.
"We have never seen five people killed by an individual at one scene. The scene was horrific."
The young de Grood executed the stabbing spree shortly after arriving at the party. Using a large knife, he stabbed the victims one by one shortly aabout 1 a.m. Tuesday.
The identities of the five victims, four men and a woman, will be released once the autopsies are finished. They are aged between 22 and 27 and were all "good kids."
Hanson said none of the victims nor the young de Grood had any prior involvement with the police.
The motive behind the Calgary attack remains unknown. The elder de Grood and his wife, described as both "incredibly cooperative in the investigation," were utterly shattered over the incident.
"He is absolutely devastated, he's heartbroken, as his wife is," Hanson said. "They feel so much pain."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where to Watch Delta Aquarids July 28-29 Peak Online, NASA Cameras Spotted Start of Perseid Meteor Shower
- Viral Wedding Photo: Amy Hicks Reveals True Story behind Viral Photo that Created Trending Hashtag on Twitter #westillcoming
- Six-Year-Old Canada girl Dies after Hit by Sedan in Crowded Store
- UFO Sightings: Mysterious Bright Lights Spotted Flashing over Toronto, Witnesses Share UFO Sighting Experience on Social Media [VIDEO]
- New Zealand-Born IDF Soldier Killed in Gaza Attack Amid Ceasefire Promises
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga