Canada Mass Stabbings: Son Faces Murder Charges, Cop Father 'Devastated'
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | April 17, 2014 12:49 PM EST
A son of a well-respected Calgary Police Service officer has been charged with first degree murder for the mass stabbings of five people at a house party in Brentwood, Calgary.
Matthew Douglas de Grood, who recently graduated from the University of Calgary with a degree in psychology and law and society, is the son of Inspector Doug de Grood who has been with the Calgary Police Service for 33 years.
Police prepare to enter a house where five people were stabbed in the early morning hours in Calgary, Alberta, April 15, 2014. Three people died on the scene of the crime while two others died in hospital. The police have one person in custody. REUTERS/Todd Korol
"This is the worst mass murder in Calgary's history," Rick Hanson, Calgary police chief, said at a news conference.
"We have never seen five people killed by an individual at one scene. The scene was horrific."
The young de Grood executed the stabbing spree shortly after arriving at the party. Using a large knife, he stabbed the victims one by one shortly aabout 1 a.m. Tuesday.
The identities of the five victims, four men and a woman, will be released once the autopsies are finished. They are aged between 22 and 27 and were all "good kids."
Hanson said none of the victims nor the young de Grood had any prior involvement with the police.
The motive behind the Calgary attack remains unknown. The elder de Grood and his wife, described as both "incredibly cooperative in the investigation," were utterly shattered over the incident.
"He is absolutely devastated, he's heartbroken, as his wife is," Hanson said. "They feel so much pain."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Brisbane Woman Performs Sex With Dog, Gets Charged With Bestiality
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Feuding With The Queen Over Royal Duties---Report
- Google Loses Lawsuit Against Canadian Woman Over Breast Exposure
- Top 5 Halloween 2014 Costume Ideas For Teen Boys
- Father Spots A Bald Patch On The Lawn Outside His Girls' Bedroom And Gets Shocked At The Reason
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight