Canada Mass Stabbings: Son Faces Murder Charges, Cop Father 'Devastated'
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | April 17, 2014 12:49 PM EST
A son of a well-respected Calgary Police Service officer has been charged with first degree murder for the mass stabbings of five people at a house party in Brentwood, Calgary.
Matthew Douglas de Grood, who recently graduated from the University of Calgary with a degree in psychology and law and society, is the son of Inspector Doug de Grood who has been with the Calgary Police Service for 33 years.
Police prepare to enter a house where five people were stabbed in the early morning hours in Calgary, Alberta, April 15, 2014. Three people died on the scene of the crime while two others died in hospital. The police have one person in custody. REUTERS/Todd Korol
"This is the worst mass murder in Calgary's history," Rick Hanson, Calgary police chief, said at a news conference.
"We have never seen five people killed by an individual at one scene. The scene was horrific."
The young de Grood executed the stabbing spree shortly after arriving at the party. Using a large knife, he stabbed the victims one by one shortly aabout 1 a.m. Tuesday.
The identities of the five victims, four men and a woman, will be released once the autopsies are finished. They are aged between 22 and 27 and were all "good kids."
Hanson said none of the victims nor the young de Grood had any prior involvement with the police.
The motive behind the Calgary attack remains unknown. The elder de Grood and his wife, described as both "incredibly cooperative in the investigation," were utterly shattered over the incident.
"He is absolutely devastated, he's heartbroken, as his wife is," Hanson said. "They feel so much pain."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Gay Community In Liberia Persecuted For Ebola; Church Leaders Call Virus 'Punishment' For Homosexuality
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'