Michael Schumacher Has ‘Moments When He is Awake and Conscious’, Says New Report
By Rachelle Corpuz | April 17, 2014 11:13 AM EST
Formula One (F1) racing champion Michael Schumacher is showing signs of awakening and consciousness, his manager Sabine Kehm has revealed, amidst the ongoing treatment he receives for the brain trauma he succumbed after his devastating skiing accident in December.
A message (L) of support for former Formula One champion Michael Schumacher of Germany is seen on the car of Mercedes Formula One driver Lewis Hamilton of Britain during the second practice session of the Australian F1 Grand Prix at the Albert Park circuit in Melbourne March 14, 2014. Schumacher suffered severe head injuries when he slammed into a rock while skiing off-piste in the French Alps resort of Meribel in December. REUTERS/David Gray
Ms Kehm has spoken to German broadcaster ARD to elaborate and give update on the current condition of the 45-year-old racing legend. She said that Schumacher has displayed yet more positive signs, stating that there were moments of being wakeful and sentient. Ms Kehm said that those moments were quick and short. Nonetheless, those "small signs of progress," as Schumacher's manager puts it, certainly shed hope that he will soon wake up completely to recover.
"There are short moments of consciousness," said Ms Kehm "He is showing small signs of progress," she added.
"There are moments when he is awake and moments when he is conscious."
Ms Kehm said that she was not in the position to give any prognosis on Schumacher's condition in spite of the optimistic report, especially with the brain trauma he suffered from the accident. Ms Kehm also explained that any form for interaction with the former Ferrari and Mercedez racing driver is "on a very limited basis."
However, Schumacher's manager refused to further reveal more details. "I don't want to disclose details out of respect for the family, but we have no doubt at all in the abilities of the doctors treating Michael, they are experts in the field," she said. Ms Kehm said that Schumacher's family was overwhelmed by the downpour of support that the seven-time F1 champion gets from his fans all over the world, but also addressed a number of reports speculating on his condition, which she alleged to have come from German newspapers. According to Schumacher's manager, the 45-year-old retired racing driver's family becomes upset when doctors share their views on that matter even though they aren't the ones treating Schumacher.
"It has been a problem when outsiders comment and it means we have to set the record straight, even when we don't want to."
Gary Hartstein, a former F1 doctor writes on his blog on a regular basis, tackling Schumacher's medical condition. On April 16, Mr Hartstein somewhat challenged Ms Kehm's statements about Schumacher's wakefulness and consciousness. He said that it is difficult to differentiate "a patient with unresponsive wakefulness syndrome from minimally conscious state." As for Schumacher's case, he said that having had suffered brain damage, the ability of being able to "show responses" would be limited. Read more of Mr Harstein blog here.
Three months after he was badly injured in a skiing accident, Schumacher continues to fight for his life.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools