Sina Weibo Debuts in New York’s Nasdaq on April 17, IPO Aims to Raise $340 Million
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 17, 2014 8:13 AM EST
Beijing-based Sina Weibo is due to debut this week in New York through an initial public offering (IPO) that seeks to raise at least $340 million.
The Chinese microblogging website Weibo has circulated rumors of political reform in the shape of an even more centralized governing body.
The Chinese version of Twitter is scheduled to be sold through the Nasdaq exchange beginning Thursday, April 17, using the symbol WB. The microblogging site started in August 2009 to provide Chinese Internet users an alternative to Twitter which is banned in the country.
The IPO would offer 20 million American depositary shares for $17 to $19 per share, reported Bloomberg, citing Sina Corp's regulatory filing on April 4.
Bloomberg noted that its valuation is 18 times lower than its 2013 sales, while its stock price is equal to 39 times of Twitter's. Weibo had a revenue per monthly active user at the end of 2013 at $1.46, while Twitter had $2.76.
Explaining the valuation gap between the two microblogging sites, CRT Capital Group analyst Neil Doshi wrote, quoted by Bloomberg, "The Twitter platform lends itself well to brand advertising, which is why the monetization of Twitter is stronger than Weibo's."
Weibo's coming out party in the international bourse comes at a time after the Nasdaq index was down for more than three weeks, reflecting the gloomy market outlook.
Meeschaert Financial Services trader Gregon Volokhine told AFP that Weibo's debut this week is riskier compared to three weeks ago. There is also a question of the size of Weibo's user base and competition from Chinese rivals such as WeChat.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Gets Investment Advice from Warren Buffett What to Do With Millions
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- Former U.S. VP Al Gore Backs Ovo Energy by Investing £8 Million Before IPO
- Study Shows Gap Between What Advisors Say and What Resonates with Investors
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Google Nexus 6 Release May Be the New Google Nexus X Smartphone as New Details Emerge
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps