Chelsea FC News: Atletico Boss Confirms First-Choice Keeper will Play Against Blues
By Mark Wayne Eubank | April 17, 2014 5:21 AM EST
Atletico Madrid boss Diego Simeone confirmed that first-choice goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois will be fielded in against Chelsea in their Champions League semi-final clash.
Atletico Madrid manager Diego Simeone confrims that he will field in Thibaut Courtois against Chelsea in their Champions League semi-final clash
"I have no doubt that he [Courtois] is going to play against Chelsea, and neither does he," said the Argentine mentor.
The Belgian shot-stopper is currently the subject of a controversy that involves a provision in his loan contract, which essentially states that he will not be able to feature against his mother club.
However, UEFA issued a statement a few days ago indicating that such agreement is null and void.
What seems to be apparent from the circumstances is that Simeone is willing to gamble playing the 21-year-old Courtois, risking the chances of extending his stay at the Vicente Calderon beyond this season.
"We aren't worried about it. One thing I don't know is where he will be playing next year," he added.
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr On Manny Pacquiao: 'He Must Know He's Not Going To Win
- Roger Federer Hailed Swiss Sportsman Of The Year, Beating Stan Wawrinka
- For Mayweather, The Prize Comes First, Not The Fans
- Serena Williams On Caroline Wozniacki’s Friendship:’I Have Had A Love For Caroline From The Day I Met Her’
- NFL News: Chicago Bears Likely To Fire Head Coach Marc Trestman At End Of NFL Season