IPL 7 Match 1 Video: Mumbai Indians vs Kolkata Knight Riders Highlights
By Deepak Vikraman | April 17, 2014 4:34 AM EST
Jacques Kallis and Sunil Narine came to the party in some style to help the Kolkata Knight Riders to an easy as it gets victory over the Mumbai Indians in the IPL 7 opener in Abu Dhabi on Wednesday night.
Kallis made a brilliant 72, with Manish Pandey acting as a perfect foil at the other end, as KKR put on a good score of 163 for five in their 20 overs.
In reply, the Mumbai Indians never really got going, with Narine (four for 24) and Morne Morkel (one for 16) proving to be too hot to handle as the defending champions finished on a mere 122 for seven, for a big 41-run loss.
"Disappointing with the way we played today, but it's a long tournament," MI captain Rohit Sharma said after the game. "Positives to be taken, and I hope the guys stay positive and enjoy each other's company.
"KKR set themselves up well with Kallis. [And while] Malinga bowled really well, there are a lot of things to learn. There is a fair bit of grass covering on the wicket. It wasn't true bounce, but overall it was a good wicket. We didn't bat well enough. It's still a long tournament, with 13 games to go for us."
Gambhir will be pleased as punch with the result, with KKR showing they will be a force to be reckoned with this season, after a rather disappointing campaign last year.
If Kallis continues his form, and the likes of Gambhir, Robin Uthappa and Shakib Al Hasan also find their mojo, then KKR, with the formidable bowling lineup, will go a long way this season.
"Before the toss, I thought we had a very good bowling attack and if we could put runs on the board, we'd be fine," Gambhir said. "We've got a quality batting line up with Jacques Kallis and me at the top. Morne Morkel gives us pace and bounce, and Narine is ably supported by the other spinners."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage