IPL 7 Match 1 Video: Mumbai Indians vs Kolkata Knight Riders Highlights
By Deepak Vikraman | April 17, 2014 4:34 AM EST
Jacques Kallis and Sunil Narine came to the party in some style to help the Kolkata Knight Riders to an easy as it gets victory over the Mumbai Indians in the IPL 7 opener in Abu Dhabi on Wednesday night.
Kallis made a brilliant 72, with Manish Pandey acting as a perfect foil at the other end, as KKR put on a good score of 163 for five in their 20 overs.
In reply, the Mumbai Indians never really got going, with Narine (four for 24) and Morne Morkel (one for 16) proving to be too hot to handle as the defending champions finished on a mere 122 for seven, for a big 41-run loss.
"Disappointing with the way we played today, but it's a long tournament," MI captain Rohit Sharma said after the game. "Positives to be taken, and I hope the guys stay positive and enjoy each other's company.
"KKR set themselves up well with Kallis. [And while] Malinga bowled really well, there are a lot of things to learn. There is a fair bit of grass covering on the wicket. It wasn't true bounce, but overall it was a good wicket. We didn't bat well enough. It's still a long tournament, with 13 games to go for us."
Gambhir will be pleased as punch with the result, with KKR showing they will be a force to be reckoned with this season, after a rather disappointing campaign last year.
If Kallis continues his form, and the likes of Gambhir, Robin Uthappa and Shakib Al Hasan also find their mojo, then KKR, with the formidable bowling lineup, will go a long way this season.
"Before the toss, I thought we had a very good bowling attack and if we could put runs on the board, we'd be fine," Gambhir said. "We've got a quality batting line up with Jacques Kallis and me at the top. Morne Morkel gives us pace and bounce, and Narine is ably supported by the other spinners."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- USA Defeats Lithuania, 96-68; Americans Advance To Championship Round Of 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- Iggy Azalea Sex Tape: The Story So Far
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Superfight Won’t Happen Because Floyd Is Scared Of Left-Handed Boxers, Pacman - Bob Arum
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone