National Film Awards (Tamil): 'Vallinam', 'Thalaimuraigal', 'Thangameengal' Win Awards
By sangeetha seshagiri | April 16, 2014 11:03 PM EST
Three Tamil films have won the 61st national awards announced by the Directorate of Film Festivals on Wednesday in New Delhi. [Also Read: Kerala State Film Awards]
Balu Mahendra in a screenshot from "Thalaimuraigal" trailer (YouTube)
Director Ram's "Thangameengal" has won three awards - Best Tamil film and best child artist (Sadhana) for playing the part of a dyslexic child with sensitivity and exuberance and yet with ease, according to a press release.
The film has also won the best lyrics award (Na Muthukumar) for the song "Aanandha Yaazhai." The lyricist has bagged the award for giving a poetic expression to the narrative through contextual amplification of emotions. He will get a Rajat Kamal (Silver Lotus) medal and a cash prize of ₹50,000.
Legendary director Balu Mahendra's "Thalaimuraigal" won the Nargis Dutt Award for best film on national integration. Nakul's reently-released "Vallinam" has also fetched an award. Editor Sabu Joseph VJ has won the national award for best editing in "Vallinam."
The Government of India had invited entries for the national awards last month. As many as 40 films had made entries in various categories. Films of big stars including Vikram ("David"), Dhanush ("Maryan"), Vishal ("Pandiya Naadu"), Arya ("Raja Rani"), Sivakarthikeyan ("Ethir Neechal") made it to the list.
Some of the critically-acclaimed films such as "Haridas", "Madha Yaani Kootam", "6 Melugu Vathigal", "Aadhalal Kaadhal Seiveer", "Annakodi", "Kadal", "Ramanujan", "Vizha" and "Vidiyum Mun" also made an entry in the list
However, they could not make it to the final list announced on Wednesday. To check the list of winners of the 61st national awards, click HERE.
Photo credit: Thalaimuraigal/ YouTube
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- This Is Why Japanese Princess Masako Attended First Palace Banquet After 11 Years
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Update: Louise And Blake To Make Their First Appearance As A Couple In Australia
- Pregnant Kourtney Kardashian Talks About Marrying Scott Disick, Her Pregnancy Cravings and Picking Out Baby Names
- ‘The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies’ Premiere Announcement Plus Spoilers [Watch Video]
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists