South Korean Ship Sinks: 2 Dead, 290 Missing as Ferry with Students Capsizes after ‘Banging Noise’ [PHOTOS]
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | April 16, 2014 5:58 PM EST
A South Korean Passenger ship carrying more than 470 people, mostly high school students who were on their way for a school trip, capsized and sank off South Korea's southern coast on Wednesday, leaving at least two people dead and about 290 others, missing.
South Korea's official Yonhap News Agency said that the government had earlier announced that 368 people were rescued, but later acknowledged there was an error in the figure. The government has now said that more than 290 people are still unaccounted for.
Only about 180 are officially announced to have been rescued so far. Though officials have said some of them could have been rescued by private fishing boats, many of them are feared to have been trapped inside the sunken ship.
The 6,325-ton ship was carrying over 470 people, including 325 students from a high school in Ansan, south of Seoul. It sent out a distress signal at 8:58 am (local time) after reaching 20 kilometers off the island of Byeongpoong, Yonhap reported.
The two dead have been identified as a 27-year-old female crew member and a high school student. The official news agency said that the sailor was found dead while the student died after being rescued from the ship.
The exact cause of the accident is not known although survivors said they heard a loud banging noise before the ship suddenly starting sinking, the official news agency said. It has now been speculated that the ship might have hit an underwater rock or possibly collided with another vessel.
"There was a bang and then the ship suddenly tilted over," a survivor was quoted as saying. "Downstairs were restaurants, shops and entertainment rooms, and those who were there are feared to have failed to escape."
The ferry reportedly set off from the western port of Incheon on Tuesday evening and was scheduled to arrive at the southern resort island of Jeju later on Wednesday. The students were on their way to the resort for a four-day school trip.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- US Police Release Video Of Officers Shooting 12-Year-Old Tamir Rice
- UFO Falling 'Angel Hair' Strands Spotted By Portugal Residents [VIDEO]
- US Toddler, 3, Shoots Mother To Death With 9mm Handgun
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Has 'Uncanny Ability,' Described As 'Posh' During Public Appearances
- NSW Girl, 12, Takes Wheel of Mazda MX5 & Saves Lives After Father Suffers Heart Attack
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones