South Korean Ship Sinks: 2 Dead, 290 Missing as Ferry with Students Capsizes after ‘Banging Noise’ [PHOTOS]
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | April 16, 2014 5:58 PM EST
A South Korean Passenger ship carrying more than 470 people, mostly high school students who were on their way for a school trip, capsized and sank off South Korea's southern coast on Wednesday, leaving at least two people dead and about 290 others, missing.
South Korea's official Yonhap News Agency said that the government had earlier announced that 368 people were rescued, but later acknowledged there was an error in the figure. The government has now said that more than 290 people are still unaccounted for.
Only about 180 are officially announced to have been rescued so far. Though officials have said some of them could have been rescued by private fishing boats, many of them are feared to have been trapped inside the sunken ship.
The 6,325-ton ship was carrying over 470 people, including 325 students from a high school in Ansan, south of Seoul. It sent out a distress signal at 8:58 am (local time) after reaching 20 kilometers off the island of Byeongpoong, Yonhap reported.
The two dead have been identified as a 27-year-old female crew member and a high school student. The official news agency said that the sailor was found dead while the student died after being rescued from the ship.
The exact cause of the accident is not known although survivors said they heard a loud banging noise before the ship suddenly starting sinking, the official news agency said. It has now been speculated that the ship might have hit an underwater rock or possibly collided with another vessel.
"There was a bang and then the ship suddenly tilted over," a survivor was quoted as saying. "Downstairs were restaurants, shops and entertainment rooms, and those who were there are feared to have failed to escape."
The ferry reportedly set off from the western port of Incheon on Tuesday evening and was scheduled to arrive at the southern resort island of Jeju later on Wednesday. The students were on their way to the resort for a four-day school trip.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy:Camilla And Princess Eugenie Reportedly Jealous, Claimed Duchess Only Good At Making Babies
- Prince Harry Reunites With Cressida Bonas On ‘Sex Tape’ Date Amid Dating Camilla Thurlow Reports
- Modern Forensic Science Reveals Evidence Of Brutal Killing Of King Richard III
- Avril Lavigne And Husband Chad Kroeger Call It Quits
- Trina Targets French Montana And Kardashian In A Song To Show What Happens To A Reject
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design