World Cup 2014: A Guide to Fortaleza
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | April 16, 2014 5:16 PM EST
Fortaleza is the capital of Ceará. It is one of the most important and the largest cities of Brazil. This vibrant city attracts a lot of foreigners from all around the world, irrespective of any time in a year.
Fortaleza is identified by the exotic sea beaches and their culture.
Fortaleza is also famous for surfing. The Praia do Futuro beach often conducts competition among experienced surfers. The city is also a hot-spot for gastronomy lovers. The shanties in the beaches and restaurants offer varieties of sea food preparation and drinks, accompanied by soulful Reggae.
The international airport at Fortaleza connects to other cities of Brazil and also connects with some international destination in Europe.
Of all the 12 host cities for the upcoming FIFA World Cup 2014, Fortaleza was also selected to host six matches.
Arena Castelão was initially an open-air venue inaugurated in 1973. The stadium further got a facelift in 1980 after a second tier have been added to increase seating capacity. In 2002, Castelão received a cover, followed by renovations which resulted to 60,000-seating capacity.
However, after being selected as a host, the stadium underwent many changes, including demolition and restructuring the lower tier ,along with other necessary changes to comply with the rule of FIFA.
Travel and Accommodation
Arena Castelão is located in the southern part of the city. It is around 10 km from Dragão do Mar and in close proximity to the Iracema beach.
Fortaleza recently opened metro services, but it does not pass the stadium. One has to get down at Parangaba and takes a cab to the venue.
Alternately, one can also avail of local bus and taxi services.
The stadium is located in a residential area with less option for tourists. The hotels and restaurants spans from Dragão do Mar till Mereiles.
Fortaleza has a tropical climatic nature. The temperature is usually hot and humid all throughout the year. But the breeze from the sea in the summer season gives a bit of relief from the heat.
Following are the matches slated to be played in Arena Castelão:
In the second round, the winner of Group B will play against the Runner-up of Group A.
One quarterfinal match is also slated in this venue
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Men’s & Women’s 100m Final, Athletics Schedule & Results Day 2
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics Schedule & Results
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga