World Cup 2014: A Guide to Fortaleza
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | April 16, 2014 5:16 PM EST
Fortaleza is the capital of Ceará. It is one of the most important and the largest cities of Brazil. This vibrant city attracts a lot of foreigners from all around the world, irrespective of any time in a year.
Fortaleza is identified by the exotic sea beaches and their culture.
Fortaleza is also famous for surfing. The Praia do Futuro beach often conducts competition among experienced surfers. The city is also a hot-spot for gastronomy lovers. The shanties in the beaches and restaurants offer varieties of sea food preparation and drinks, accompanied by soulful Reggae.
The international airport at Fortaleza connects to other cities of Brazil and also connects with some international destination in Europe.
Of all the 12 host cities for the upcoming FIFA World Cup 2014, Fortaleza was also selected to host six matches.
Arena Castelão was initially an open-air venue inaugurated in 1973. The stadium further got a facelift in 1980 after a second tier have been added to increase seating capacity. In 2002, Castelão received a cover, followed by renovations which resulted to 60,000-seating capacity.
However, after being selected as a host, the stadium underwent many changes, including demolition and restructuring the lower tier ,along with other necessary changes to comply with the rule of FIFA.
Travel and Accommodation
Arena Castelão is located in the southern part of the city. It is around 10 km from Dragão do Mar and in close proximity to the Iracema beach.
Fortaleza recently opened metro services, but it does not pass the stadium. One has to get down at Parangaba and takes a cab to the venue.
Alternately, one can also avail of local bus and taxi services.
The stadium is located in a residential area with less option for tourists. The hotels and restaurants spans from Dragão do Mar till Mereiles.
Fortaleza has a tropical climatic nature. The temperature is usually hot and humid all throughout the year. But the breeze from the sea in the summer season gives a bit of relief from the heat.
Following are the matches slated to be played in Arena Castelão:
In the second round, the winner of Group B will play against the Runner-up of Group A.
One quarterfinal match is also slated in this venue
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet