Meet the Mongolian Huntress and Her Golden Eagle Hunting Partner
By Ma Evelyn Castino Quilas | April 16, 2014 5:12 PM EST
Who says hunting is an exclusive activity for guys only?
Not with Ashol-Pan, a 13-year-old girl from the Kazakh tribe in Altai mountains, Western Mongolia who uses a golden eagle as her hunting partner to catch foxes and hares. This young lady goes on a hunting expedition with the Mongolian boys.
Her hunting episode was captured by travel photographer Asher Svidensky who spent four months on horseback across the Mongolian mountains just to document the young generation of hunters.
The Israeli-Russian photographer met with Ashol-Pan and her entire family during his stint at the ethnic group's community.
In a report from BBC, Svidensky showed a photo of Ashol-Pan's family and stated that there are endless possibilities for the young generation of Mongolian hunters. "The generation that will decide what will happen with every tradition that Mongolia contains is this generation. Everything there is going to change and is going to be redefined - and the possibilities are amazing," he stated
Svidensky recalled his amazement at the sight of Ashol-Pan who comfortably allows the eagle to sit on her arms unlike most Kazakh boys her age who are a bit apprehensive with handling the golden eagle. He stated: "To see her with the eagle is amazing. She was a lot more comfortable with it, a lot more powerful with it and a lot more at ease with it."
Ashol was trained for hunting in replacement of her eldest brother who has been drafted into the army. According to Ahol's father Han Gohadok who was a famous hunter in their tribe, his eldest son will unlikely return to hunting upon his return so Ashol stepped forward to take over the hunting duties. Although the head of the family did not expect Ashol to make hunting a full-time work in the future unless she specifically wanted to do so, according to Daily Mail.
Svidensky describes the Mongolian huntress as shy, sweet, and smiling. She might be the only huntress among the 400 apprentice in the Kazakhs tribe. This is the only ethnic group that makes use of golden eagles for their hunting expeditions wherein a team of hunters travel on mountains or ridge amidst the snow and cold weather in search for fox and other animals that can be used for food.
The stunning photos of Ashol's hunting episode can be found on this link from BBC website.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Surge in UFO Sightings in Queensland Observed; Gold Coast 'Hot Spot' of UFO Encounters
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leak Raises Doubts on Apple's iCloud; How to Secure Apple ID
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones