Five Youngsters Stabbed to Death in Canada House Party, Suspect Identified
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | April 16, 2014 5:11 PM EST
The man responsible for stabbing five young people to death in Canada has been identified as Matthew de Grood. Matthew is charged with five counts of first degree murder. The fatal stabbing, which took place during a house party, is considered to be the worst mass murder in the history of Calgary. The names of the victims are Zackariah Rathwell, Lawrence Hong, Kaitlin Perras, Joshua Hunter and Jordan Segura.
Matthew killed four men as well as a woman in their 20s in the Brentwood neighbourhood which is situated to the north of the University of Calgary campus. Police reported that Matthew's father happens to be a veteran police office in Calgary. CBC News reported that Matthew did not have any previous police records, according to Rick Hanson, the chief of Calgary Police Services. Ms Hanson also said that the victims did not have any police records either.
The horrid incident took place at around 1:20 in the morning of Tuesday, April 15. Mr Hanson called the incident as "the worst mass murder in Calgary's history." Matthew attended the University of Calgary. He reportedly had plans to join tlaw school. Mr Hanson said that the house party was apparently meant for friends as well as university people. Matthew was invited to the party, he said.
Matthew stabbed the five young people shortly after he had arrived at the party. He already had a weapon with him. According to police descriptions, the weapon was "an instrument" which he brought with him from work. However, according to investigators, he used his primary weapon from the house where the party was taking place. Mr Hanson said that Matthew arrived at the house, got the knife and stabbed the victims one after another.
There was no indication that Matthew was provoked by any incident that might have taken place in the party. Neither did Matthew consume alcohol or drugs. The entire incident seems to be a cold-blooded act of murder. Matthew apparently planned it well before he had arrived at the party. Mr Hanson said that Matthew had apparently arrived at the party straight from work.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales