Texting P-Plate Driver Who Hit A Bicyclist ‘Just Don’t Care’ About Victim
By Anne Lu | April 16, 2014 5:04 PM EST
A Western Victoria P-Plate driver who hit a cyclist while she was texting and driving was annoyed that her expensive car damaged during the accident in September 2013. Kimberley Davis, 21, lost her licence of nine months after pleading guilty to dangerous driving on Monday.
Ms Davis of Grant Street, Port Fairy, was also fined $4500 during the hearing at the Warrnambool Magistrates Court. She originally faced 47 charges for each time that she had used her phone while she was behind the wheel.
According to The Standard, she was driving from a supermarket in east Warrnambool to west of Koroit on September 20 when she hit a cyclist from behind at 7:20 pm on the Penshurst-WArrnambool Road.
The victim, who was initially told that he could become a paraplegic, suffered a spinal fracture that required surgery and placement in a spinal cage at the Austin Hospital in Melbourne. He also suffered lacerations to his head and body, as well as a broken big toe. He spent three months recovering.
The court was told that Ms Davis used her phone 44 times while she was driving. She sent and received 22 text messages to seven different phones, and had received a text message at 7:18 pm.
Ms Davis called the Triple Zero emergency number 51 seconds after receiving a text message, but she refused to offer her victim help. She parked 100 metres up the road.
Her answer to police interview two days after the accident also shocked the court, in which she appeared to be more concerned about her vehicle than hurting another human being.
“I just don’t care because I’ve already been through a lot of bullshit and my car is like pretty expensive and now I have to fix it,” she apparently told a police officer.
“I’m kind of pissed off that the cyclist has hit the side of my car. I don’t agree that people texting and driving could hit a cyclist. I wasn’t on my phone when I hit the cyclist.”
The cyclist’s wife was also in court for the hearing. She was disappointed that Ms Davis did not lose her license for longer than nine months.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Of Cambridge ‘Dissed’ By Camilla Parker-Bowles; Delivery Expected In April- Reports
- 'Green Alien Eggs' Spotted on Sydney's Dee Why Beach
- Robin Williams Confessed To Loving Billy Connolly Like A Brother In A Final Goodbye Call
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde Attends Father’s Funeral Without Handcuffs, Brother Thanks TPB Founder’s Supporters on Facebook
- Drag Queens Fume That Facebook Is Banning Aliases And Threaten to Drop Out Of It
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed