Texting P-Plate Driver Who Hit A Bicyclist ‘Just Don’t Care’ About Victim
By Anne Lu | April 16, 2014 5:04 PM EST
A Western Victoria P-Plate driver who hit a cyclist while she was texting and driving was annoyed that her expensive car damaged during the accident in September 2013. Kimberley Davis, 21, lost her licence of nine months after pleading guilty to dangerous driving on Monday.
Ms Davis of Grant Street, Port Fairy, was also fined $4500 during the hearing at the Warrnambool Magistrates Court. She originally faced 47 charges for each time that she had used her phone while she was behind the wheel.
According to The Standard, she was driving from a supermarket in east Warrnambool to west of Koroit on September 20 when she hit a cyclist from behind at 7:20 pm on the Penshurst-WArrnambool Road.
The victim, who was initially told that he could become a paraplegic, suffered a spinal fracture that required surgery and placement in a spinal cage at the Austin Hospital in Melbourne. He also suffered lacerations to his head and body, as well as a broken big toe. He spent three months recovering.
The court was told that Ms Davis used her phone 44 times while she was driving. She sent and received 22 text messages to seven different phones, and had received a text message at 7:18 pm.
Ms Davis called the Triple Zero emergency number 51 seconds after receiving a text message, but she refused to offer her victim help. She parked 100 metres up the road.
Her answer to police interview two days after the accident also shocked the court, in which she appeared to be more concerned about her vehicle than hurting another human being.
“I just don’t care because I’ve already been through a lot of bullshit and my car is like pretty expensive and now I have to fix it,” she apparently told a police officer.
“I’m kind of pissed off that the cyclist has hit the side of my car. I don’t agree that people texting and driving could hit a cyclist. I wasn’t on my phone when I hit the cyclist.”
The cyclist’s wife was also in court for the hearing. She was disappointed that Ms Davis did not lose her license for longer than nine months.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where and How to Best View Delta Aquarids Meteor Shower Peak on July 28 and 29
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- iPhone 6 releasing Soon, Use Old Smartphones to Save Rainforest
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June