Texting P-Plate Driver Who Hit A Bicyclist ‘Just Don’t Care’ About Victim
By Anne Lu | April 16, 2014 5:04 PM EST
A Western Victoria P-Plate driver who hit a cyclist while she was texting and driving was annoyed that her expensive car damaged during the accident in September 2013. Kimberley Davis, 21, lost her licence of nine months after pleading guilty to dangerous driving on Monday.
Ms Davis of Grant Street, Port Fairy, was also fined $4500 during the hearing at the Warrnambool Magistrates Court. She originally faced 47 charges for each time that she had used her phone while she was behind the wheel.
According to The Standard, she was driving from a supermarket in east Warrnambool to west of Koroit on September 20 when she hit a cyclist from behind at 7:20 pm on the Penshurst-WArrnambool Road.
The victim, who was initially told that he could become a paraplegic, suffered a spinal fracture that required surgery and placement in a spinal cage at the Austin Hospital in Melbourne. He also suffered lacerations to his head and body, as well as a broken big toe. He spent three months recovering.
The court was told that Ms Davis used her phone 44 times while she was driving. She sent and received 22 text messages to seven different phones, and had received a text message at 7:18 pm.
Ms Davis called the Triple Zero emergency number 51 seconds after receiving a text message, but she refused to offer her victim help. She parked 100 metres up the road.
Her answer to police interview two days after the accident also shocked the court, in which she appeared to be more concerned about her vehicle than hurting another human being.
“I just don’t care because I’ve already been through a lot of bullshit and my car is like pretty expensive and now I have to fix it,” she apparently told a police officer.
“I’m kind of pissed off that the cyclist has hit the side of my car. I don’t agree that people texting and driving could hit a cyclist. I wasn’t on my phone when I hit the cyclist.”
The cyclist’s wife was also in court for the hearing. She was disappointed that Ms Davis did not lose her license for longer than nine months.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Fears Cause Hysteria In United States And Around The World
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess All Smiles In First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Baby Corpses Found in Storage Locker in Canada
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- ISIS Taking U.S.-Airdropped Weapons An 'Embarrassment'; Another Yazidi Massacre Looming [VIDEO]
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop