Boxing News 2014: Did Manny Pacquiao Use Illegal Handwraps? Top-3 Most Notorious Cheaters in Sport
By Lou Ramon Aguila | April 16, 2014 3:24 PM EST
Manny Pacquiao successfully recaptured the WBO welterweight championship belt on Saturday with a 12-round demolition of previously undefeated Timothy Bradley at MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas, Nevada. Pacman's victory was simply clinical, launching a barrage of shots that had the American's cheeks swollen on both sides.
Boxer Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines smiles during a news conference in New York August 6, 2013. Pacquiao will fight Brandon Rios of the U.S. in a welterweight match at the Venetian Macao in Macau on November 24. REUTERS/SHANNON STAPLETON
However, as expected, Pacquiao's sensational victory was shrouded with another controversy as rumours circulated that the Filipino congressman was caught using illegal substance in his handwraps during the match.
Boxing fans on Twitter and Facebook feasted on the report and exchanged opinions about the alleged cheating of the eight-division world champion. Pacquiao reportedly used a small plaster (paris), which was discovered hidden in his hand wraps right after scoring a unanimous decision win over Bradley.
International Business Times tried to seek confirmation about the validity of the report and found out that it was another hoax posted on the satirical website Huzzlers. To make things short, Pacquiao is still the world champion and Bradley suffered his first ever loss in a fair and square battle.
Speaking of cheating in boxing, there are several occasions where boxers caught using illegal substances or tactics to give them an unfair advantage against their fellow combatant during the match. Events that not only marred not only their reputations as boxers but the sport of sweet science.
Tyson's Bite Attack on Holyfield
Mike Tyson entered his rematch with reigning WBA heavyweight champion Evander Holyfield looking to avenge his loss (10-round TKO loss) in the first match and claim back his status as the best pound-for-pound fighter at that time.
However, sensing the match was slipping away of his hands as early as the third round, Tyson bit Holyfield's ear and ripped a piece of meat. Ring officials decided to halt the fight due to profuse bleeding from Holyfield's ear, making the match arguably the most controversial in boxing up to now.
Antonio Margarito Padded Fists
Antonio Margarito is hailed the best welterweight fighter at the time when he took on an up-and-coming Miguel Cotto in a classic Mexico vs. Puerto Rico slugfest. Though Cotto was the more skillful boxer, Margarito' overwhelming aggression and big shots took its toll on the Puerto Rican's face.
Few months later, Margarito faced Sugar Shane Mosley in a lineal welterweight showdown. Mosley's trainer Naazim Richardson discovered plaster of paris powder in his hand wraps, prompting officials to order Margarito's camp to rewrap his fists. Without loaded gloves, Margarito was simply helpless and went on to get obliterated by Mosley in the ninth round.
Mayweather and Pacquiao Cheating Boxing World
Pacquiao and Mayweather Jr. are the biggest cheaters in boxing because they have been depriving fans to see the two best ring warriors today going toe-to-toe. Pacquiao insisted that he's open to fight Mayweather, but his affiliation with Bob Arum has kept fight negotiation at bay. Meanwhile, Mayweather has been firing verbal shots on Pacquiao without providing a blueprint on how to settle negotiation with Pacman's camp.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS