Mithcell Johnson Considering to Quit One Cricket Format
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | April 16, 2014 3:18 PM EST
Australia's pace-man Mitchell Johnson would like to concentrate on his Test career by quitting from at least one format of international cricket.
Johnson also made a formidable comeback in Test cricket during Ashes, when the Aussies nailed England by 5 - 0 in the series.
Johnson, however, suffered from toe infection after the end of the South Africa series, further leading to his unavailability in the T20 World Cup held at Bangladesh.
When asked if he would be comfortable with all the format of International Cricket, he replied, "Probably not."
"I think I've got to be a lot smarter now ... Twenty20 cricket you don't play a lot of anyway, it just happened at this time there was a World Cup straight after the South Africa series which I was looking forward to being involved in before I got injured ... Twenty20, I will quite happily say, is not my favourite format - I would rather play Test cricket ... And maybe one day (international) cricket I have to look at as well," read parts of Johnson's statement on Australia Cricket's Web site.
Though Johnson is trying to move away from the smaller format, he is rather keen to be a part of World Cup squad, as Australia will host the 2015 ICC World Cup.
Johnson was also a member of the 2007 World Cup squad at West Indies, but he remains in the stand without playing any match.
"I'd like to win a World Cup - I've been involved in the West Indies in 2007 which was a well-paid holiday apparently ... so I would love to be a part of Australia's 2015 World Cup and I certainly think we've got the team to win it ... We've played some really good one-day cricket and given that it's being played at home, it would be a great opportunity ... But my main goal now is to get to that 2015 Ashes series in England, so I'll be doing everything I can to reach that goal," Johnson added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Rafael Nadal Crowned as Most Popular Personality in Spain
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales