Arsenal Defeats West Ham in the English Premier League
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | April 16, 2014 1:19 PM EST
In a crucial match at English Premier League, Arsenal battled valiantly to win over West Ham United by 3-1, pushing the Gunners to secure the fourth place in chart.
West Ham United's Matthew Jarvis (R) and teammate Antonio Nocerino celebrate Jarvis' goal against Arsenal during their English Premier League soccer match at the Emirates stadium in London April 15, 2014.
Two goals from Lukas Podolski and one from Olivier Giroud sealed the Gunners victory on Monday at the Emirates Stadium, London.
The match started on an even note, but as it progressed, Arsenal took over maximum possession and kept constant pressure on West Ham. But the string got loose when Matthew Jarvis scored the first goal of the match in 40 minutes, putting West Ham in the lead.
The goal from Jarvis awakened the indomitable winning spirit of Arsenal when after 4 minutes Lukas Podolski bought the equaliser from a superb shoot.
The next lead came from Olivier Giroud in 55 minutes from an impeccable approach, dissuading the defense to land up in goal.
As Arsenal took the lead, West Ham tried every way to offend the opponent, but the Gunners made no mistake giving loose chances. The third and the final goal of the match came at 78 minutes from Lukas Podolski. Giroud crossed the box, leaving behind Aaron Ramsey who did a fine dribble to pass the ball to Podolski, and the German didn't commit any mistake to mark a respectable win for the team.
Arsenal showed consistency in the entire match which was one major reasons for the success.
"I think we built the victory tonight through consistency in our game, the vital thing tonight was to come back to 1-1 before half time. It was a hard-fought win and a very enjoyable win as we had to dig deep on Saturday ... We showed maturity not to panic when we went 1-0 down, I had to rest a number of players tonight but it was good that players like Kim Kallstrom managed to contribute tonight," Arsenal Manager Wenger said.
On the other hand, West Ham Manager Sam Allardyce counted on the weak defense that led to such disaster.
"It was two errors on our part for their first two goals, at that stage we worked really hard to get 1-0 up and we worked hard throughout the game. But even after playing so well if you gift them two goals it's difficult to get a result ... the second half they scored from a long ball and the defending was pathetic on our account. There's no satisfaction at playing OK as football is about winning and getting results, we didn't do that tonight and all of our hard work was wasted. We knew that Arsenal had a lot of games and a lot of injuries lately and we took the pressure off them ... It's down to us why we lost the game and why we haven't got anything out of the game tonight," Allardyce said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Roman Reigns Vs Randy Orton Match Unexciting, Reigns 'Awful Wrestler No Charisma'
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools