Arsenal Defeats West Ham in the English Premier League
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | April 16, 2014 1:19 PM EST
In a crucial match at English Premier League, Arsenal battled valiantly to win over West Ham United by 3-1, pushing the Gunners to secure the fourth place in chart.
West Ham United's Matthew Jarvis (R) and teammate Antonio Nocerino celebrate Jarvis' goal against Arsenal during their English Premier League soccer match at the Emirates stadium in London April 15, 2014.
Two goals from Lukas Podolski and one from Olivier Giroud sealed the Gunners victory on Monday at the Emirates Stadium, London.
The match started on an even note, but as it progressed, Arsenal took over maximum possession and kept constant pressure on West Ham. But the string got loose when Matthew Jarvis scored the first goal of the match in 40 minutes, putting West Ham in the lead.
The goal from Jarvis awakened the indomitable winning spirit of Arsenal when after 4 minutes Lukas Podolski bought the equaliser from a superb shoot.
The next lead came from Olivier Giroud in 55 minutes from an impeccable approach, dissuading the defense to land up in goal.
As Arsenal took the lead, West Ham tried every way to offend the opponent, but the Gunners made no mistake giving loose chances. The third and the final goal of the match came at 78 minutes from Lukas Podolski. Giroud crossed the box, leaving behind Aaron Ramsey who did a fine dribble to pass the ball to Podolski, and the German didn't commit any mistake to mark a respectable win for the team.
Arsenal showed consistency in the entire match which was one major reasons for the success.
"I think we built the victory tonight through consistency in our game, the vital thing tonight was to come back to 1-1 before half time. It was a hard-fought win and a very enjoyable win as we had to dig deep on Saturday ... We showed maturity not to panic when we went 1-0 down, I had to rest a number of players tonight but it was good that players like Kim Kallstrom managed to contribute tonight," Arsenal Manager Wenger said.
On the other hand, West Ham Manager Sam Allardyce counted on the weak defense that led to such disaster.
"It was two errors on our part for their first two goals, at that stage we worked really hard to get 1-0 up and we worked hard throughout the game. But even after playing so well if you gift them two goals it's difficult to get a result ... the second half they scored from a long ball and the defending was pathetic on our account. There's no satisfaction at playing OK as football is about winning and getting results, we didn't do that tonight and all of our hard work was wasted. We knew that Arsenal had a lot of games and a lot of injuries lately and we took the pressure off them ... It's down to us why we lost the game and why we haven't got anything out of the game tonight," Allardyce said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Manny Pacquiao Calls Out On Floyd Mayweather Jr. Again After Unbeaten Boxer Mocks Him With His KO Video
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Marussia Formula One Team Keeps Its Promise To Injured Driver
- Phil Hughes No More: Australian Batsman Dies at 25
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones