MH370 Crash Site Found, A Miracle Says Wreck Hunter
By Athena Yenko | April 16, 2014 12:58 PM EST
"I think essentially they have found the wreckage site. While the Government hasn't announced that yet, if somebody asked me: 'Technically, do they have enough information to say that?' my answer is unequivocally 'Yes'," David Mearns, the director of the UK-based Bluewater Recoveries said during an interview with ABC's 7.30.
Mr Mearns is one of world's most renowned wreck hunters. He became distinguished in his field when he found the wreck of HMAS Sydney deep in the Indian Ocean, according to ABC. The HMAS wreck was Australia's most mysterious maritime incident. For this, he was given the honorary Order of Australia.
Mr Mearns' expertise was also beneficial in finding the wreckage of Air France flight 447.
As for the missing MH370, he said that the sonar pings, which were suspected to be coming from the MH370's black box, do not just happen in random from the ocean.
"You just don't hear these signals randomly in the ocean. These are not fleeting sounds - they have got four very, very good detections, with the right spectrum of noise coming from them. It can't be from anything else," Mr Mearns told ABC.
As for the Australian government being too careful with announcement, Mr Mearns said that the feelings of the passengers' family members were being considered.
"Obviously for the sake of the families and for everybody else they will want photographic proof and that will be coming shortly," Mr Mearns said.
Mr Mearns predicts that the completion of the sonar search will take months as MH370's cockpit voice recorder and data recorder are separate devices.
He said that a major discovery to MH370's investigation happened while search operatives were analysing the flight path of the missing plane.
"Somewhere out of some place, fantastic pieces of intelligence were put together to really narrow it down to a small, small area. And that's how these guys have been able to find it so quickly. The Ocean Shield was out there a couple of days and they got a hit. That has been a tremendous success and miraculous. People were searching for a miracle. This was one."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Canada’s Anti-Prostitution Law Soon: Critics Call it Draconian
- ACT Party's Demand to Re Consider Maoris Privileges Evokes Reprimand
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- “Women should not laugh in public” - Turkish Deputy PM says
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Selena Gomez Allegedly Back in Rehab, Hugs Nat Wolff the Night Justin Bieber & Orlando Bloom Made Headlines in Ibiza
- Girls Star Allison Williams to Play Titular Role in NBC's Peter Pan Live
- Kendall Jenner Forbids Sister Kim Kardashian from Attending her Fashion Shows, Considers her Presence a Hindrance - Reports
- Kendall Jenner Ignores Kim Kardashian Big Time, Tries to Befriend Beyonce - Reports
- Apple Mac Remains Strong Despite Challenging PC Market, iPhone Remains a Winner Through Q3 Price Points