MH370 Crash Site Found, A Miracle Says Wreck Hunter
By Athena Yenko | April 16, 2014 12:58 PM EST
"I think essentially they have found the wreckage site. While the Government hasn't announced that yet, if somebody asked me: 'Technically, do they have enough information to say that?' my answer is unequivocally 'Yes'," David Mearns, the director of the UK-based Bluewater Recoveries said during an interview with ABC's 7.30.
Mr Mearns is one of world's most renowned wreck hunters. He became distinguished in his field when he found the wreck of HMAS Sydney deep in the Indian Ocean, according to ABC. The HMAS wreck was Australia's most mysterious maritime incident. For this, he was given the honorary Order of Australia.
Mr Mearns' expertise was also beneficial in finding the wreckage of Air France flight 447.
As for the missing MH370, he said that the sonar pings, which were suspected to be coming from the MH370's black box, do not just happen in random from the ocean.
"You just don't hear these signals randomly in the ocean. These are not fleeting sounds - they have got four very, very good detections, with the right spectrum of noise coming from them. It can't be from anything else," Mr Mearns told ABC.
As for the Australian government being too careful with announcement, Mr Mearns said that the feelings of the passengers' family members were being considered.
"Obviously for the sake of the families and for everybody else they will want photographic proof and that will be coming shortly," Mr Mearns said.
Mr Mearns predicts that the completion of the sonar search will take months as MH370's cockpit voice recorder and data recorder are separate devices.
He said that a major discovery to MH370's investigation happened while search operatives were analysing the flight path of the missing plane.
"Somewhere out of some place, fantastic pieces of intelligence were put together to really narrow it down to a small, small area. And that's how these guys have been able to find it so quickly. The Ocean Shield was out there a couple of days and they got a hit. That has been a tremendous success and miraculous. People were searching for a miracle. This was one."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan
- China Is Building An Island In The Spratly Islands—Report
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- New Zealand's Surveillance Laws Are Anti-People, Says Green Party leader Russel Norman
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues