MH370 Crash Site Found, A Miracle Says Wreck Hunter
By Athena Yenko | April 16, 2014 12:58 PM EST
"I think essentially they have found the wreckage site. While the Government hasn't announced that yet, if somebody asked me: 'Technically, do they have enough information to say that?' my answer is unequivocally 'Yes'," David Mearns, the director of the UK-based Bluewater Recoveries said during an interview with ABC's 7.30.
Mr Mearns is one of world's most renowned wreck hunters. He became distinguished in his field when he found the wreck of HMAS Sydney deep in the Indian Ocean, according to ABC. The HMAS wreck was Australia's most mysterious maritime incident. For this, he was given the honorary Order of Australia.
Mr Mearns' expertise was also beneficial in finding the wreckage of Air France flight 447.
As for the missing MH370, he said that the sonar pings, which were suspected to be coming from the MH370's black box, do not just happen in random from the ocean.
"You just don't hear these signals randomly in the ocean. These are not fleeting sounds - they have got four very, very good detections, with the right spectrum of noise coming from them. It can't be from anything else," Mr Mearns told ABC.
As for the Australian government being too careful with announcement, Mr Mearns said that the feelings of the passengers' family members were being considered.
"Obviously for the sake of the families and for everybody else they will want photographic proof and that will be coming shortly," Mr Mearns said.
Mr Mearns predicts that the completion of the sonar search will take months as MH370's cockpit voice recorder and data recorder are separate devices.
He said that a major discovery to MH370's investigation happened while search operatives were analysing the flight path of the missing plane.
"Somewhere out of some place, fantastic pieces of intelligence were put together to really narrow it down to a small, small area. And that's how these guys have been able to find it so quickly. The Ocean Shield was out there a couple of days and they got a hit. That has been a tremendous success and miraculous. People were searching for a miracle. This was one."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- 'ISIL Has To Be Defeated, Plain And Simple, End Of Story,' Sen. John Kerry
- New Zealand Companies Slow In CSR Initiatives: Study
- Chinese Property Developer Flees To New Zealand After China Arrests Vice-Mayor For Corrupt Deals
- Scotland Voted Against Independence, Early Results Indicate
- ‘No’ Leads As Scottish Independence Vote Boost Sales Of Braveheart; Anticipated ‘No’ Votes Win Strengthens British Pound