Samsung Galaxy S3 Android 4.4 Kitkat Update: Not All S3 Models Will Receive Upgrade
By Kristin Dian Mariano | April 16, 2014 12:23 PM EST
Multiple Samsung customers have complained that an Android 4.3 (Jelly Bean) software update has been causing their Galaxy S3 smartphones a lot of problems. (IBTimes UK)
In a nutshell, Samsung Galaxy S3 will get the Android 4.4 Kitkat but the roll out date is still unconfirmed. However, some models of the Samsung Galaxy S3 will no longer get the software update, according to G for Games.
The report continued that one of the problems with the Android 4.4 Kitkat update for Samsung Galaxy S3 is that some models pack 1 GB of RAM while other pack 2 GB. 1 GB of RAM seemed to be not enough to download Kitkat. Some of the models that will surely receive the latest the Kitkat OS update are: GT-I9305; SHV-E210K/L/S; SGH-T999/L; SGH-I747; SGH-N064; SGH-N035; SCH-J021; SCH-R530; SCH-I535; SCH-S960L; and SCH-S968C.
Unfortunately, the international variant with model number GT-I9300, as well as the SCH-I939 and SCH-S968C were equipped with 1 GB of RAM only. Thus, chances are, these models will be left out when the company rolls out the official update. The model number of the handset can be found on Settings > About Device.
Last week, Android Geeks reported that Samsung is already working on the Kitkat update for Samsung Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 2 with possible roll out in April or May. The update will bring a lot of new features to Samsung Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 2 such as Location Settings, Default App Settings, a full-screen mode, wireless printing and even more. Moreover, Kitkat OS was more stable compared to Jelly Bean.
Samsung was way behind in releasing the OS updates for its handsets. Google announced and released the Kitkat OS late last year. Its rivals HTC and Sony already rolled out the update early this year for their respective devices. Moreover, the 4.4.3 version of the Kitkat OS will roll out to Nexus devices soon and Google's annual I/O Conference will happen soon, which will show off a new version of Android OS.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes