Samsung Galaxy S3 Android 4.4 Kitkat Update: Not All S3 Models Will Receive Upgrade
By Kristin Dian Mariano | April 16, 2014 12:23 PM EST
Multiple Samsung customers have complained that an Android 4.3 (Jelly Bean) software update has been causing their Galaxy S3 smartphones a lot of problems. (IBTimes UK)
In a nutshell, Samsung Galaxy S3 will get the Android 4.4 Kitkat but the roll out date is still unconfirmed. However, some models of the Samsung Galaxy S3 will no longer get the software update, according to G for Games.
The report continued that one of the problems with the Android 4.4 Kitkat update for Samsung Galaxy S3 is that some models pack 1 GB of RAM while other pack 2 GB. 1 GB of RAM seemed to be not enough to download Kitkat. Some of the models that will surely receive the latest the Kitkat OS update are: GT-I9305; SHV-E210K/L/S; SGH-T999/L; SGH-I747; SGH-N064; SGH-N035; SCH-J021; SCH-R530; SCH-I535; SCH-S960L; and SCH-S968C.
Unfortunately, the international variant with model number GT-I9300, as well as the SCH-I939 and SCH-S968C were equipped with 1 GB of RAM only. Thus, chances are, these models will be left out when the company rolls out the official update. The model number of the handset can be found on Settings > About Device.
Last week, Android Geeks reported that Samsung is already working on the Kitkat update for Samsung Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 2 with possible roll out in April or May. The update will bring a lot of new features to Samsung Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 2 such as Location Settings, Default App Settings, a full-screen mode, wireless printing and even more. Moreover, Kitkat OS was more stable compared to Jelly Bean.
Samsung was way behind in releasing the OS updates for its handsets. Google announced and released the Kitkat OS late last year. Its rivals HTC and Sony already rolled out the update early this year for their respective devices. Moreover, the 4.4.3 version of the Kitkat OS will roll out to Nexus devices soon and Google's annual I/O Conference will happen soon, which will show off a new version of Android OS.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]