Australian Stock Market Report – Midday 4/16/14
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | April 16, 2014 12:10 PM EST
The Australian share market is continuing to add to Tuesday's gains in the early session on Wednesday, after US markets rode out a volatile session on a high note.
Global miner BHP Billiton is facing a two-week work stoppage at its Illawarra Coal Appin Mine unit as some 50 supervisors demand for an 18 per cent increase in their pay.
Locally, the market is up 0.3 per cent in the early session, adding to yesterday's 0.5 per cent gain and limiting the weekly loss so far to 0.5 per cent.
In company news, miner BHP Billiton (BHP) has raised its iron ore production outlook, after reporting third quarter production figures. The miner produced 49.6 million tons of the commodity in the nine months to March 31, up 23 per cent on the year. BHP shares are being sold off, along with general weakness in the material sector ahead of economic growth figures out of China later today.
Fortescue Metals Group (FMG) shares are down 1.1 per cent to $5.27. The iron ore miner has reported total 3Q iron ore shipments of 31.5 million tons, up 56 per cent on the year.
Coca-Cola Amatil (CCL) is up almost three per cent to $9.36, rebounding a little after its recent loss due to last week's profit warning. The beverage company received another broker downgrade yesterday and has seen its share price drop almost 15 per cent this month.
Sydney Airport (SYD) is firmer at $4.105 following analyst reports the airport is unlikely to lose traffic if Sydney's second airport in the city's west is developed. Qantas (QAN) shares are up one per cent in the early session to $1.19 while Virgin Australia (VAH) is stronger by 1.3 per cent to 38.5 cents.
So far on the market, 458 million shares have changed hands, worth $979 million. 399 are higher, 273 are lower and 284 are unchanged.
The Australian dollar is weaker at US93.45c.
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers