Australian Stock Market Report – Midday 4/16/14
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | April 16, 2014 12:10 PM EST
The Australian share market is continuing to add to Tuesday's gains in the early session on Wednesday, after US markets rode out a volatile session on a high note.
Global miner BHP Billiton is facing a two-week work stoppage at its Illawarra Coal Appin Mine unit as some 50 supervisors demand for an 18 per cent increase in their pay.
Locally, the market is up 0.3 per cent in the early session, adding to yesterday's 0.5 per cent gain and limiting the weekly loss so far to 0.5 per cent.
In company news, miner BHP Billiton (BHP) has raised its iron ore production outlook, after reporting third quarter production figures. The miner produced 49.6 million tons of the commodity in the nine months to March 31, up 23 per cent on the year. BHP shares are being sold off, along with general weakness in the material sector ahead of economic growth figures out of China later today.
Fortescue Metals Group (FMG) shares are down 1.1 per cent to $5.27. The iron ore miner has reported total 3Q iron ore shipments of 31.5 million tons, up 56 per cent on the year.
Coca-Cola Amatil (CCL) is up almost three per cent to $9.36, rebounding a little after its recent loss due to last week's profit warning. The beverage company received another broker downgrade yesterday and has seen its share price drop almost 15 per cent this month.
Sydney Airport (SYD) is firmer at $4.105 following analyst reports the airport is unlikely to lose traffic if Sydney's second airport in the city's west is developed. Qantas (QAN) shares are up one per cent in the early session to $1.19 while Virgin Australia (VAH) is stronger by 1.3 per cent to 38.5 cents.
So far on the market, 458 million shares have changed hands, worth $979 million. 399 are higher, 273 are lower and 284 are unchanged.
The Australian dollar is weaker at US93.45c.
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 23, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report –Midday July 22, 2014
- Major European & U.S. Airlines Cancel Flights to Israel after Rocket Attack on Tel Aviv Airport
- BHP Billiton Goads Abbott Government to Also Repeal Mining Tax Law
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning July 23, 2014
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More