Australian Stock Market Report – Midday 4/16/14
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | April 16, 2014 12:10 PM EST
The Australian share market is continuing to add to Tuesday's gains in the early session on Wednesday, after US markets rode out a volatile session on a high note.
Global miner BHP Billiton is facing a two-week work stoppage at its Illawarra Coal Appin Mine unit as some 50 supervisors demand for an 18 per cent increase in their pay.
Locally, the market is up 0.3 per cent in the early session, adding to yesterday's 0.5 per cent gain and limiting the weekly loss so far to 0.5 per cent.
In company news, miner BHP Billiton (BHP) has raised its iron ore production outlook, after reporting third quarter production figures. The miner produced 49.6 million tons of the commodity in the nine months to March 31, up 23 per cent on the year. BHP shares are being sold off, along with general weakness in the material sector ahead of economic growth figures out of China later today.
Fortescue Metals Group (FMG) shares are down 1.1 per cent to $5.27. The iron ore miner has reported total 3Q iron ore shipments of 31.5 million tons, up 56 per cent on the year.
Coca-Cola Amatil (CCL) is up almost three per cent to $9.36, rebounding a little after its recent loss due to last week's profit warning. The beverage company received another broker downgrade yesterday and has seen its share price drop almost 15 per cent this month.
Sydney Airport (SYD) is firmer at $4.105 following analyst reports the airport is unlikely to lose traffic if Sydney's second airport in the city's west is developed. Qantas (QAN) shares are up one per cent in the early session to $1.19 while Virgin Australia (VAH) is stronger by 1.3 per cent to 38.5 cents.
So far on the market, 458 million shares have changed hands, worth $979 million. 399 are higher, 273 are lower and 284 are unchanged.
The Australian dollar is weaker at US93.45c.
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
Join the Conversation
- El Pollo Loco Shareprice Up 33% on 1st Day of Trading
- South Australia OKs $800M Copper, Gold & Iron Ore Mine on Prime Agri Land in Yorke Peninsula
- Long Beach Real Estate Market Is Pricing Out Home Buyers with Limited Budget
- 93% of Mining Leaders See Extremely Low or Zero Growth Prospect for Industry in Next 1-2 Years; No Immediate Plans by BHP for Olympic Dam Expansion
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning July 29, 2014
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal