Google Glass Gets Android 4.4 Kitkat and New Features, Samsung Patents Possible Google Glass Competitor
By Gel Galang | April 16, 2014 11:20 AM EST
Updates for the Google Glass are already in, as it ushers in the Android Kitkat along with additional features for the device.
"You've been asking us when the next round of updates were coming. Well, they're coming later this week! We know it's been a little while, but this is a big one and we think it's well worth the wait," said the team behind Google Glass.
First off is the Android 4.4 Kitkat update, which is pretty much the most significant upgrade to the Glass software. The upgrade also allows for better battery life, a more reliable way for the Glass to upgrade in the future, and Glassware developers now have access to the latest Android SDK and the Glass GDK.
There are also photo bundles coming in with the Glass update, as per request from Explorers. Now you can scroll through the timeline in organized bundles so you'll be doing less swiping and more seeing. Still in the photos department, photo replies are now part of Hangouts.
Video command sorting is also an addition, where voice commands are sorted by the way you frequently and how recently you used them.
Sadly, video calls will be making their exit from the features of the Google Glass. According to the Google team, only 10% of Explorers make used of the video calls, so they are removing the experience for the meantime to improve the service.
"We hold ourselves to high standards for the features that we build, and video calls aren't living up to these standards," said the Google Glass team. "We've made the hard decision to remove video calls from Glass until the experience is better. We don't know when that will be, but in the meantime, keep an eye on MyGlass as more Glassware is built and released."
Samsung's own version of the Google Glass, patented
While the Google Glass team is working on improvements, Samsung seems to be bent on making their device offerings more diverse by the minute.
A patent for a wearable display, along the lines of the Google Glass, has been spotted though it carries unique differences with the Glass. For instance, GigaOM reports that Samsung's new patent, dubbed the "Earphone," actually functions as an in-ear headphone instead of a glass-like device.
Still, there are pretty noticeable similarities, starting with the build of Samsung's Earphone, which makes use of a heads-up display with a rotatable prism for viewing purposes. A microphone and a front camera are also included in the device.
There have been a lot of sightings of Samsung patents, though not all of them have seen the light of becoming products, so this may just be a preliminary sketch. But then again, Samsung has been known to tap into a variety of devices, so it may also become a future product for the brand.
Read more tech and gaming news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Confirmed With Demo, More Info Revealed
- ‘Minecraft PS Vita,’ PS4 And Xbox One Updates And More On The Microsoft Deal
- 'Dragon Age Inquisition': Three Classes Confirmed—Warrior, Mage And Rogue Abilities Exposed
- 'The Sims 4' Mods: Buff Emotion Changes, Pay Very Low Bills And Enable Advanced Debug For Cheats
- Meet 3 New 'Pokemon Omega Ruby And Alpha Sapphire' Mega Evolutions And Legendary Rayquaza
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date