Holy Week 2014: Stories of Jesus; Best Movies to Watch
By Jenille Cristy Maido | April 16, 2014 9:58 AM EST
As Palm Sunday began on April 13 in Australia, the Easter is another event that people look forward for the celebration of Holy Week 2014. Aside from the Easter eggs that kids are excited to hunt, the Holy Week also signify a long weekend and more family time.
Devout Christians commemorate Holy week with fasting and sacrifice. While plenty of festivities alongside processions, parades, and marching bands are to happen within the week, some families choose to stay home to rest and celebrate the true essence of the most sacred week of the year. Watching movies and Holy Week specials on TV is also a great way to make most of the weekend to de-stress from the busy days of work.
Holy Week is the final week of the Lent season. It is an event to remember Jesus Christ' sacrifice and death of the cross-that in His death, believers may find eternal life. Movies to reflect the life of Jesus Christ are more likely to be a great watch for the celebration for they can rekindle Christian spirituality and faith.
For people who want to celebrate the Holy Week with family and friends on a religious movie marathon, here are a few movies that retells the story of the Lord Jesus Christ.
The Passion of the Christ (2004)
Yes, it is the "12 Hours That Changed the World." The Passion of the Christ is a very moving depiction of Jesus last 12 hours on earth. The story begins in the Garden of Gethsemane where He is praying. Jesus was eventually captured by the Pharisees because of Judas Iscariot's betrayal and there started a painful sequence that may fail in comparison to what truly happened in real life.
The film stars Jim Caviezel for the role of Jesus, Maia Morgenstern as Mary, and Monica Bellucci as Magdalene.
King of Kings (1961)
Viewers who loves watching classic may be able to appreciate this film. The movie is a biblical epic that tells the story of Jesus from birth to crucifixion.
The movie casts Jeffrey Hunter as Jesus, Siobhán McKenna as Mary, and Robert Ryan as John the Baptist among others.
The Greatest Story Ever Told (1965)
Another classic movie that tells Jesus' life from his birth to resurrection, the film has been nominated for five Academy Awards during its time and is credited for its cast.
The film stars Max von Sydow as Jesus, Dorothy McGuire as Mary, and Robert Loggia as Joseph.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Will Name Second Child Diana, Camilla Parker-Bowles Not Invited to Prince George’s Birthday - Reports
- Kanye West Abandons Kim Kardashian after 58 Days of Marriage – Reports
- Ian Somerhalder and Nina Dobrev Drama: Heartbroken The Vampire Diaries Actress Reacts to Nikki Reed Dating News—Report
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Things to Know About ‘Surprising, Explosive Ending’ of Andi Dorfman’s Season
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- iPhone 6 Release Date in September 26 with Price Details and More Killer Features
- Apple iPad Mini Air: Three Fresh Features on the Smart Tablet to Wait for
- 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Release Date is Sept 26 after iOS 8 GM Public Debut on Sept 17 – Reports