Holy Week 2014: Stories of Jesus; Best Movies to Watch
By Jenille Cristy Maido | April 16, 2014 9:58 AM EST
As Palm Sunday began on April 13 in Australia, the Easter is another event that people look forward for the celebration of Holy Week 2014. Aside from the Easter eggs that kids are excited to hunt, the Holy Week also signify a long weekend and more family time.
Devout Christians commemorate Holy week with fasting and sacrifice. While plenty of festivities alongside processions, parades, and marching bands are to happen within the week, some families choose to stay home to rest and celebrate the true essence of the most sacred week of the year. Watching movies and Holy Week specials on TV is also a great way to make most of the weekend to de-stress from the busy days of work.
Holy Week is the final week of the Lent season. It is an event to remember Jesus Christ' sacrifice and death of the cross-that in His death, believers may find eternal life. Movies to reflect the life of Jesus Christ are more likely to be a great watch for the celebration for they can rekindle Christian spirituality and faith.
For people who want to celebrate the Holy Week with family and friends on a religious movie marathon, here are a few movies that retells the story of the Lord Jesus Christ.
The Passion of the Christ (2004)
Yes, it is the "12 Hours That Changed the World." The Passion of the Christ is a very moving depiction of Jesus last 12 hours on earth. The story begins in the Garden of Gethsemane where He is praying. Jesus was eventually captured by the Pharisees because of Judas Iscariot's betrayal and there started a painful sequence that may fail in comparison to what truly happened in real life.
The film stars Jim Caviezel for the role of Jesus, Maia Morgenstern as Mary, and Monica Bellucci as Magdalene.
King of Kings (1961)
Viewers who loves watching classic may be able to appreciate this film. The movie is a biblical epic that tells the story of Jesus from birth to crucifixion.
The movie casts Jeffrey Hunter as Jesus, Siobhán McKenna as Mary, and Robert Ryan as John the Baptist among others.
The Greatest Story Ever Told (1965)
Another classic movie that tells Jesus' life from his birth to resurrection, the film has been nominated for five Academy Awards during its time and is credited for its cast.
The film stars Max von Sydow as Jesus, Dorothy McGuire as Mary, and Robert Loggia as Joseph.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 7 Spoilers: Gemma’s World Starts To Crumble in ‘Greensleeves’ [VIDEO]
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Plot Update: Sexy Scenes Revealed, Jamie Dornan Kisses Dakota Johnson In Reshoot
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 5 Spoilers: Gibbs' Gut OKs FBI Agent Leia Pendergast; A Favorite Guest Star Returns [Watch NCIS 12x5 Promo Video]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia