Burger King China Branch Has a PooPoo Smoothie on Its Menu, Any Takers?
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 16, 2014 9:18 AM EST
Is it a case of lost in translation or a deliberate marketing gimmick to be talked about? Such questions would likely pop in the mind of fast food lovers when they read a particular item on the menu of a Burger King branch in China - the PooPoo Smoothie.
Now, before jumping to conclusion and think it is a dark brown concoction that must have passed through the anal canal of an exotic animal like the way a certain type of coffee is being marketed, let reader know that it is a cold drink made up of mango and big pearl sagos.
Being made of mango, then its color is yellow orange and not brown. No suggestions that it is made of animal or worse, human droppings.
Kotaku, a Chinese publication, compared the PooPoo Smoothie to the Taiwanese Boba Tea, a mango-flavoured slushie with pulp pearls that tasts like lychee. The cold drink is topped off with soft serve vanilla ice cream.
The Chinese staff of Burger King appear to be unaware that the English equivalent of poopoo is faeces. So when the Kotaku writer joked and asked for a chocolate ice cream topping, the staff failed to get the joke that adding a brown ice cream would give the smoothie a colour associated with human waste.
Based on the photos of the smoothie published by Kotaku, the one topped with vanilla costs 18.5 yuan, while the plain one costs 15.5 yuan.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- The IBM and Apple Merger: Will it Spell Trouble to Rival Companies
- CBA, NAB, Westpac in Fixed Rate War Offering Below 5% Interest
- Radio Australia Cuts to Affect Isolated Vanuatu Residents Who Rely on It for Weather Bulletins
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon