Burger King China Branch Has a PooPoo Smoothie on Its Menu, Any Takers?
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 16, 2014 9:18 AM EST
Is it a case of lost in translation or a deliberate marketing gimmick to be talked about? Such questions would likely pop in the mind of fast food lovers when they read a particular item on the menu of a Burger King branch in China - the PooPoo Smoothie.
Now, before jumping to conclusion and think it is a dark brown concoction that must have passed through the anal canal of an exotic animal like the way a certain type of coffee is being marketed, let reader know that it is a cold drink made up of mango and big pearl sagos.
Being made of mango, then its color is yellow orange and not brown. No suggestions that it is made of animal or worse, human droppings.
Kotaku, a Chinese publication, compared the PooPoo Smoothie to the Taiwanese Boba Tea, a mango-flavoured slushie with pulp pearls that tasts like lychee. The cold drink is topped off with soft serve vanilla ice cream.
The Chinese staff of Burger King appear to be unaware that the English equivalent of poopoo is faeces. So when the Kotaku writer joked and asked for a chocolate ice cream topping, the staff failed to get the joke that adding a brown ice cream would give the smoothie a colour associated with human waste.
Based on the photos of the smoothie published by Kotaku, the one topped with vanilla costs 18.5 yuan, while the plain one costs 15.5 yuan.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports