Hardware Network Failure Causes Crash of Commonwealth Bank Systems; Customers Vent Anger Thru Social Media at Failure to Withdraw Money
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 16, 2014 8:39 AM EST
Thousands of Commonwealth Bank of Australia (CBA) customers were angry at the lender on Tuesday because a network hardware failure caused an outage that made it impossible to withdraw money. The clients vented their ire on social media.
Reports said that a key piece of CBA's network at one of the bank's data centre failed.
The outage affected not only ATM transactions but also Web and phone banking, EFTPOS and even some in-branch services. Included in the outage was not being able to pay for transactions at shops or petrol stations.
Likewise affected were users of CommSec's share-trading platform which was down early Tuesday. Traders were advised to call the broker and transact their business by phone instead of online.
By early afternoon, CBA was able to fix the problem and assured customers it is gradually restoring all its banking services. By 12:30 pm. CommSec's Twitter support account announced that full service has been restored, including ATMs, NetBank and EFTPOS.
Bank customers who incurred penalties due to the outage were advised to contact CBA for potential compensation, said Matt Levey, head of campaigns at Choice.
CBA had spent S1 billion to upgrade its core banking system to benefit its over 14.5 million customers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Hong Kong Protests Cause Closure Of Banks & Instagram Outages In China
- Federal Court Orders Coles To Hang Signs For 3 Months That It Passed Off Par-Baked Bread As Fresh From The Oven
- Microsoft To Have Its Own Retail Outlet in Manhattan
- Telstra To Convert Old Payphones Into Wi-Fi Hotspots
- #Bendgate Video Hits Almost 46 Million In 5 Days, But Impact On Apple’s Finances Minimal
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build