Hardware Network Failure Causes Crash of Commonwealth Bank Systems; Customers Vent Anger Thru Social Media at Failure to Withdraw Money
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 16, 2014 8:39 AM EST
Thousands of Commonwealth Bank of Australia (CBA) customers were angry at the lender on Tuesday because a network hardware failure caused an outage that made it impossible to withdraw money. The clients vented their ire on social media.
Reports said that a key piece of CBA's network at one of the bank's data centre failed.
The outage affected not only ATM transactions but also Web and phone banking, EFTPOS and even some in-branch services. Included in the outage was not being able to pay for transactions at shops or petrol stations.
Likewise affected were users of CommSec's share-trading platform which was down early Tuesday. Traders were advised to call the broker and transact their business by phone instead of online.
By early afternoon, CBA was able to fix the problem and assured customers it is gradually restoring all its banking services. By 12:30 pm. CommSec's Twitter support account announced that full service has been restored, including ATMs, NetBank and EFTPOS.
Bank customers who incurred penalties due to the outage were advised to contact CBA for potential compensation, said Matt Levey, head of campaigns at Choice.
CBA had spent S1 billion to upgrade its core banking system to benefit its over 14.5 million customers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- Man Swindles Apple for $309,768 in 16 States
- Texas Man Selling Condo With ‘Funniest and Most Revealing Ad’
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Tweens Fool Their Parents Online, McAfee Reports
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Transfer News: In Demand Everton Midfielder Silence Speculations by Penning New Deal [VIDEO]
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- Reebok Launches Bacon Line to Lure CrossFit and Paleo Diet Fans
- Transfer News: Star Midfielder Pledges Future with Manchester City [VIDEO]
- ACT Party's Demand to Re Consider Maoris Privileges Evokes Reprimand