Hardware Network Failure Causes Crash of Commonwealth Bank Systems; Customers Vent Anger Thru Social Media at Failure to Withdraw Money
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 16, 2014 8:39 AM EST
Thousands of Commonwealth Bank of Australia (CBA) customers were angry at the lender on Tuesday because a network hardware failure caused an outage that made it impossible to withdraw money. The clients vented their ire on social media.
Reports said that a key piece of CBA's network at one of the bank's data centre failed.
The outage affected not only ATM transactions but also Web and phone banking, EFTPOS and even some in-branch services. Included in the outage was not being able to pay for transactions at shops or petrol stations.
Likewise affected were users of CommSec's share-trading platform which was down early Tuesday. Traders were advised to call the broker and transact their business by phone instead of online.
By early afternoon, CBA was able to fix the problem and assured customers it is gradually restoring all its banking services. By 12:30 pm. CommSec's Twitter support account announced that full service has been restored, including ATMs, NetBank and EFTPOS.
Bank customers who incurred penalties due to the outage were advised to contact CBA for potential compensation, said Matt Levey, head of campaigns at Choice.
CBA had spent S1 billion to upgrade its core banking system to benefit its over 14.5 million customers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tesco Facing Crisis After Chairman Quits Citing Accounting Scandal In The Retail Giant
- Australian Federal Court Fines Reebok $350,000 & Orders Refunds For Shoe Endorsed By Miranda Kerr That Claims Unproven Health Benefits
- Perth Call Centre Staff Bad In English And Not Philippine And Indian Counterparts, Telstra Boss Says
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories