Total Lunar Eclipse 2014: Stunning Images of the Rare ‘Blood Moon’ [PHOTOS]
By Parismita Goswami | April 15, 2014 10:23 PM EST
Sky watchers could catch a glimpse of the stunning 'Blood Moon' as the Earth shadow passes the Moon, giving it a rare red hue, on Tuesday.
The first eclipse of 2014 was clearly visible in most parts of North America, Latin America and the Caribbean. Residents with their telescopes, binoculars and cellphones could watch the moon appear reddish and change color in different phases between 2 am EDT (6 am GMT and 11:30 am IST) and 4:30 am EDT (8:30 am GMT and 2:00 pm IST)
In Los Angeles, the view of the total lunar eclipse attracted thousands to the Griffith Observatory. People spread blankets in the open air to take a glimpse from dozens of telescopes arranged for the public to watch the rare event.
"It's energizing. Look around. Everybody is here to see something rare and live. Everyone is always looking down at their phones, their iPads" CNN quoted Gene Ireland, a middle school astronomy teacher.
"We want them looking up. Looking up, you see a whole different world. Getting away from the cities and traffic, and the sky is just beautiful." He added.
The moon was fully eclipsed from 3:06 am EDT (7:06 am GMT or 12:36 pm IST), for over 75 minutes.
However, sky gazers in most of Europe, Africa, Asia and Middle East were not fortunate enough to watch the exclusive event as the eclipse occurred after moonset.
For people who missed the rare event on Tuesday, have the opportunity to observe the next blood moon of the year on 8 October. The remaining two blood moons over the next 18 months are expected to occur on 4 April and 28 September 2015.
Check for more images of the 'Blood Moon' viewed from different parts of the World.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Headache: Rx – Sex 3X A Day
- Bardarbunga Volcano In Iceland Erupts With Brightly Coloured Lava Under Northern Lights [Watch Video]
- Philippines’s Mayon Volcano Shoots Lava & Hot Boulders
- A Jawbone Found In Sydney Beach Has Been Matched To An 800-Year Old Skull
- George, The Goldfish Underwent Surgery To Remove Brain Tumour - Watch Video
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet