Total Lunar Eclipse 2014: Stunning Images of the Rare ‘Blood Moon’ [PHOTOS]
By Parismita Goswami | April 15, 2014 10:23 PM EST
Sky watchers could catch a glimpse of the stunning 'Blood Moon' as the Earth shadow passes the Moon, giving it a rare red hue, on Tuesday.
The first eclipse of 2014 was clearly visible in most parts of North America, Latin America and the Caribbean. Residents with their telescopes, binoculars and cellphones could watch the moon appear reddish and change color in different phases between 2 am EDT (6 am GMT and 11:30 am IST) and 4:30 am EDT (8:30 am GMT and 2:00 pm IST)
In Los Angeles, the view of the total lunar eclipse attracted thousands to the Griffith Observatory. People spread blankets in the open air to take a glimpse from dozens of telescopes arranged for the public to watch the rare event.
"It's energizing. Look around. Everybody is here to see something rare and live. Everyone is always looking down at their phones, their iPads" CNN quoted Gene Ireland, a middle school astronomy teacher.
"We want them looking up. Looking up, you see a whole different world. Getting away from the cities and traffic, and the sky is just beautiful." He added.
The moon was fully eclipsed from 3:06 am EDT (7:06 am GMT or 12:36 pm IST), for over 75 minutes.
However, sky gazers in most of Europe, Africa, Asia and Middle East were not fortunate enough to watch the exclusive event as the eclipse occurred after moonset.
For people who missed the rare event on Tuesday, have the opportunity to observe the next blood moon of the year on 8 October. The remaining two blood moons over the next 18 months are expected to occur on 4 April and 28 September 2015.
Check for more images of the 'Blood Moon' viewed from different parts of the World.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- HIV Cure: First Effective Cure to Have Long-Term Remission; 3 Factors to Check on Inactive Virus
- Coming Soon: AntiViral Gel in Condoms to Kill HIV Virus
- Melbourne Man Gives Up Sex For a Year; Donates £50,000 in Charity
- FDA Prioritises Review of ‘Abuse-Deterrent’ Painkiller
- Tree of 40 Fruit: A Tree That Produces 40 Fruits in New York
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People