3 Tips to Unclutter Your Android Phone & Maximise Built-In Memory
By Pavithra Rathinavel | April 15, 2014 9:57 PM EST
There are four reasons why a smartphone (in general) might not run smoothly or in the way user would expect it to work:
A new Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphone is seen on a display at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona February 23, 2014. Samsung Electronics unveiled a new smart watch and fitness band along with the latest version of its flagship Galaxy smartphone on Monday, demonstrating how the battleground for innovation is shifting from the hand to the wrist.Picture taken on February 23. REUTERS/Albert Gea
- Smartphones with low built-in memory
- No microSD expansion slot support
- Devices with bloat-ware installed
- Users in low-signal areas, that causes the battery drain in search of signal/network
Although users cannot do anything to counter the last point, there are solutions to the other three problems. According to CNET, there are three things any Android users can do to free up their built-in and expandable memory. This includes eliminating downloaded files, transferring these files to other devices or backing them up in any form of cloud storage. In addition, this should help in automatically backing up media files and also help in clearing cached data from the installed apps.
File manger apps come handy when it comes to organizing or storing files/data; especially with downloaded files from emails, networking sites, blogs among others. The most recommend File Manager app is 'ES File Explorer'. This app works in tandem with many cloud based services like Google Drive, Box, SkyDrive and Dropbox to provide an efficient way of organizing data.
Readers who are interested in getting cheaper cloud storage option should check-out iDrive, which offers 50 GB of cloud storage for just 0.99 cents (year-after-year).
Every time a user installs an app on the device, a folder is created to save user settings, images, files, and logs. According to CNet, "each time a user watches a video on Instagram the data is cached (stored) on the device, which allows the video to load quickly upon trying to view the same content again. But how many times are you going to watch the same video (unless it's ridiculously funny or cute)?"
Hence these cached contents can be cleared to get additional space. Also users can set a schedule to do a regular clearing of such files from the device. Efficient apps like '1Tap Cleaner' and 'Clean Master' can be used to acquire more storage space.
The app '1Tap Cleaner' packs a single click solution by providing a widget to clean up cached/stored files. Upon installing this app, users will also be able to see the cache usage of individual apps; thus the contents and logs can be cleared accordingly. With '1Tap Cleaner', users are allowed to uninstall apps without having to log into Google Play Store.
The app 'Clean Master' is a simple app which lets the user clear the cached files; in addition, it can clean-up files that are larger than 10 MB. Additionally, there is an option to shut down the apps that are not being used.
Automated File Back-Up
If the device has humongous amount of photos, videos and music albums stored on board, users can opt for an automated backup to cloud services. At any point in time, not all files will be required on the device. If utilizing cloud services is not an option then users can transfer their files to their computers in order to get additional space on the smartphone.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid