Google Android 5.0 Upcoming Features and Release Date: What to Expect
By Precious Silva | April 15, 2014 8:24 PM EST
Android 4.4.3 update for Sprint users has just been released. This confirms previous speculations that Google was indeed working on a bug fix for previous KitKat updates. Likewise, the release of the firmware adds more fuel to the Android 5.0 predictions. Previously, it was reported that Google was working on the Android 4.4.3 update and the Android 5.0. If the internet giant released the 4.4.3 update already, the Android 5.0 firmware may just be around the corner. What can people expect?
A Google Android figurine sits on the welcome desk as employee Tracy McNeilly smiles at the new Google office in Toronto, November 13, 2012.
According to a report by Tech Republic, there are several things that people can expect from the upcoming mobile operating system. Looking at Google's track record, analysts believe the upcoming Android 5.0 OS will provide considerable improvements. Some even go as far to say that the major improvements from Android 4.4 KitKat cannot match what Android 5.0 will bring to the table.
There is still a debate whether Google's next mobile OS will be named Lemon Meringue Pie or Lollipop. Other reported and expected features include:
- Improved reminders - Google Now still has issues. Users should find it easier to clear or cancel reminders in the next Android 5.0.
- Improved location tracking - there are instances Google Now fails to remind users of noted locations. It should be more convenient with the upcoming OS.
- Better voice calls - while Google can separate home and mobile calls, Google still has difficulty differentiating the two when users command it to call one.
- Google Now with Bills Payments - mobile payments may be included in the next Android smartphones.
- Google Babble - this will consolidate several android chat services like Hangouts, Talk and Messenger among others.
- App launcher - there were reports about Google securing a patent for this.
There has been pressure over Google and Android to accommodate 64-bit architecture following Apple's release of the A7 chip. Samsung has announced working on the system already. People expect Google to follow.
Google will be holding its I/O conference this June. Analysts expect to know more about upcoming products and services during the event including the Android 5.0 and other Nexus devices.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around