Easter Lilies Toxic to Cats, FDA Warns
By Parismita Goswami | April 15, 2014 8:01 PM EST
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) warns cat lovers to avoid having lilies, which are popular decorations during the Easter season, as it might be poisonous to cats at home.
Easter Lilies Toxic to Cats, FDA Warns (Wikimedia Commons/Ali_K)
The trumpet-shaped, white flowers are toxic to curious cats who might chew the plant's petals and leaves. Apart from lilies, flowers such as Asiatic, Tiger and Japanese Show lilies are also poisonous to cats.
"If you suspect that your cat has eaten any part of a lily or its pollen, call your veterinarian immediately, or take your cat to an emergency veterinary clinic," Live Science quoted Melanie McLean, a veterinarian at FDA.
"Even eating just a couple of leaves or licking a few pollen grains off their fur can cause cats to suffer acute kidney failure," she said.
These plants and its parts, which are members of the Lilium and Hemerocallis genera, are believed to be poisonous.
The first symptom of toxicity in cats is vomiting, frequent urination over the first 24 hours. Owners should immediately consult a veterinarian in case of these symptoms. The cat may die within four to seven days if not treated.
Some other symptoms of poisoning are loss of appetite, drooling and decreased activity.
Lilies are usually not as toxic to dogs, but may cause some gastrointestinal distress. However there's one similar flower, Lily of the Valley, which you should keep away from your dog, because this plant is highly dangerous for canines, too.
Some other plants toxic to pets include Aloe vera, Kalanchoe, Daphne, foxglove and yew bushes, according to the FDA.
Photo Credit: Wikimedia Commons/Ali_K
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- New Technology to Build Invisible Material Using Light: Study Says
- Luxury Cruise: A 'Once In A Lifetime' Trip To Experience Environment Devastation in the Arctic
- UK Converts Coal Plants Into Solar Cell Farms
- Streaks of Jealousy Found Among Dogs
- NASA Astronomers Unearths Mysterious Signal That 'Could Not Be Explained By Known Physics' [Watch Video]
- Transfer News: In Demand Everton Midfielder Silence Speculations by Penning New Deal [VIDEO]
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- Reebok Launches Bacon Line to Lure CrossFit and Paleo Diet Fans
- Transfer News: Star Midfielder Pledges Future with Manchester City [VIDEO]
- ACT Party's Demand to Re Consider Maoris Privileges Evokes Reprimand