IPL 7: Dhoni Ready to Roar as Skipper Looks for Another Title with CSK
By Shruthi SU | April 15, 2014 7:19 PM EST
The initial cricketing years of Mahendra Singh Dhoni spurred a lot of talk about how a Ranchi-born Railways ticket inspector grew to become the most aggressive of batsmen in India. It was a remarkable story of inspiration for how dreams can come true. He was known for his mane, his not-so-elegant batting style. But, whatever it was, he did it in style. He brought his own element to the game and unabashedly so. If someone said he'd be one of the most successful captains for India, one wouldn't have given it a close ear.
The World Cup winning captain is the most sought after poster-boy in India. His leadership skills and the ability to keep calm when the world around is blowing apart has been respected and scrutinised. He takes it all in his stride and discusses weather as he prepares to lead the two-time champions Chennai Super Kings in the IPL 7.
"Yes, the weather is slightly different when you compare to Mumbai or Chennai or Kolkata," Dhoni said about the conditions in the UAE where the first leg of IPL 7 is scheduled. "It is hot and humid. But Delhi has very dry heat and this place is similar to that. It will be a challenge. But sports people crib a lot initially. But you don't get bothered by it once we start to play."
Avoiding questions about the match-fixing scandal surrounding his team, Dhoni instead focussed on aspects in his control.
"Consistency at playing well and reaching the semifinals is our goal firstly," Dhoni said. "We can't say we will win because all it takes is one individual to have a good day. The importance is to reach the semifinals, and you up your game a bit."
The likes of Suresh Raina, Brendon McCullum, Faf du Plessis and Dwayne Bravo give CSK the star power. When asked if he's content with what he has, he said it all boils down to fitness and form.
"What you have to see are your fitness issues," Dhoni admitted. "And your composition as a side depends on the fitness of the players and their form. You may have to omit someone who is a big player because with him included, the side doesn't look balanced as compared to somebody else who isn't as big a player. You have to see all those things.
"The good thing is, we haven't had so many changed players since season one. We try to retain as many as possible."
Dhoni has been credited to have brought the Indian team together and has been trying to do a similar job with CSK as well. "So far, we have been blessed," Dhoni added. "We have a few players, and most are likeminded people, but yes, it is difficult managing a couple of them.
"But we want to create an environment that provides a good mental condition to perform. And that will only happen if the players in the dressing room are good with each other."
Of late, controversies have followed Dhoni everywhere. Though he has tried to keep mum on corruption allegations that his team owners have faced, he was asked one final question about the issue. What does it take to keep the system clean?
"We will try the laundry, that's good, will keep us clean," Dhoni was quoted as saying by ESPNcricinfo jokingly.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Ana Ivanovic Posts a Hot Selfie on Instagram after her San Francisco Photo-Shoot
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- MH17: Shrapnel Hits Plane, Russia Calls for UN-led Investigation