IPL 7: Dhoni Ready to Roar as Skipper Looks for Another Title with CSK
By Shruthi SU | April 15, 2014 7:19 PM EST
The initial cricketing years of Mahendra Singh Dhoni spurred a lot of talk about how a Ranchi-born Railways ticket inspector grew to become the most aggressive of batsmen in India. It was a remarkable story of inspiration for how dreams can come true. He was known for his mane, his not-so-elegant batting style. But, whatever it was, he did it in style. He brought his own element to the game and unabashedly so. If someone said he'd be one of the most successful captains for India, one wouldn't have given it a close ear.
The World Cup winning captain is the most sought after poster-boy in India. His leadership skills and the ability to keep calm when the world around is blowing apart has been respected and scrutinised. He takes it all in his stride and discusses weather as he prepares to lead the two-time champions Chennai Super Kings in the IPL 7.
"Yes, the weather is slightly different when you compare to Mumbai or Chennai or Kolkata," Dhoni said about the conditions in the UAE where the first leg of IPL 7 is scheduled. "It is hot and humid. But Delhi has very dry heat and this place is similar to that. It will be a challenge. But sports people crib a lot initially. But you don't get bothered by it once we start to play."
Avoiding questions about the match-fixing scandal surrounding his team, Dhoni instead focussed on aspects in his control.
"Consistency at playing well and reaching the semifinals is our goal firstly," Dhoni said. "We can't say we will win because all it takes is one individual to have a good day. The importance is to reach the semifinals, and you up your game a bit."
The likes of Suresh Raina, Brendon McCullum, Faf du Plessis and Dwayne Bravo give CSK the star power. When asked if he's content with what he has, he said it all boils down to fitness and form.
"What you have to see are your fitness issues," Dhoni admitted. "And your composition as a side depends on the fitness of the players and their form. You may have to omit someone who is a big player because with him included, the side doesn't look balanced as compared to somebody else who isn't as big a player. You have to see all those things.
"The good thing is, we haven't had so many changed players since season one. We try to retain as many as possible."
Dhoni has been credited to have brought the Indian team together and has been trying to do a similar job with CSK as well. "So far, we have been blessed," Dhoni added. "We have a few players, and most are likeminded people, but yes, it is difficult managing a couple of them.
"But we want to create an environment that provides a good mental condition to perform. And that will only happen if the players in the dressing room are good with each other."
Of late, controversies have followed Dhoni everywhere. Though he has tried to keep mum on corruption allegations that his team owners have faced, he was asked one final question about the issue. What does it take to keep the system clean?
"We will try the laundry, that's good, will keep us clean," Dhoni was quoted as saying by ESPNcricinfo jokingly.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet