Box Office Report – ‘Rio’ 2 Fails to Stop the March of ‘Captain America’ 2
By Sachin Trivedi | April 15, 2014 6:41 PM EST
"Captain America: The Winter Soldier" is still growing strong at the box office. New movies like "Rio" 2 and "Oculus" failed to topple the movie at the top. The movie has earned over $476 million worldwide.
Actress Scarlett Johansson (R) gestures to the crowd during an interview at the UK premiere of "Captain America: The Winter Soldier: at Shepherds Bush in London, March 20, 2014. REUTERS/Paul Hackett
"Captain America" 2 had a strong opening and continues to make waves at the box office. The movie has made over $158 million in the U.S market and over $317 million in the international market and remains at the top for the second week.
The plot of the movie involves discovering the identity of the Soviet assassin called Winter Soldier. He is joined by Black Widow and The Falcon. Nick Fury, the head of SHIELD is also in the movie. The action movie has been one of the highly anticipated by fans.
"Rio" 2 also saw a strong opening at the box office collecting over $39 million in the U.S market and over $124 million in the international market, putting the total at over $163 million in the opening weekend.
The movie came a close second in terms of box office collection. The animation comedy movie was expected to perform well at the box office, given the popularity of the previous movie and the strong showing of animation movies in recent years.
The movie continues the journey of the domesticated bird Blu as he enters the Amazon. Blu, his wife Jewel and their three kids have a hilarious adventure especially when Blu meets his father-in-law.
"Oculus" opened with a collection of over $12 million in the U.S. The theme of the movie revolves around a supernatural force responsible for killing many people, including the parents of the main characters in the movie, Tim and Kaylie.
The upcoming movies of the weekend include "Heaven is for Real," the story of a child who visited heaven during his near death experience and "Antboy," the story of a 12 year old super hero. The boy gets super powers after being bitten by an ant and has to battle a new villain called The Flea.
Will the new movies be able to replace "Captain America" 2 at the box office? Another hotly anticipated upcoming movie is the Johnny Depp starrer "Transcendence." "Rio" 2 is expected to continue its strong performance at the box office.
More Articles to Read
'Game of Thrones' Season 4 Episode 2 Recap and Spoilers - Weddings in Westeros are Not to be Missed [Read]
Recession in 2014? Why Experts are Predicting a Stock Market Crash in 2014 [Read]
Texas Family Catches 'Chupacabra'-Is it Real? [Read]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Bachelorette 2014, Bachelor 2015 Spoilers: Andi Dorfman Hints at Next Bachelor; Find Out What He Thinks About the Job
- Castle Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic says ‘Back in the Saddle’, Beckett, Castle Romance to Grow Stronger
- Orange is the New Black Update: Reality T.V. Star to Appear in Season 3, Actor Says Show can Run for Long Time, even with New Protagonist
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People