Holy Week 2014: Best Old Testament Films to Watch
By Jenille Cristy Maido | April 15, 2014 3:20 PM EST
Many Christians commemorate the Holy Week by remembering Jesus Christ's last days on earth.
Considered the most sacred event of the year, the Lent is a season of sacrifice, focusing on Jesus' sufferings to bring salvation to humanity. Recently, Pope Francis delivered a sermon at the St. Peter's Square for the Palm Sunday Mass relating the start of the Holy Week for 2014. The Pope spoke to the large crowd of people before greeting them after the ceremony.
Pope Francis sprinkles holy water with an aspergillum as a blessing during the Palm Sunday mass at Saint Peter's Square at the Vatican April 13, 2014. REUTERS/Alessandro Bianchi
Australia celebrated Palm Sunday on April 13 to follow the tradition of this year's Holy Week. Roman Catholic churches in Australia offered mass to in reminiscence to Christ's entry to Jerusalem and the priests blessed the palms of the churchgoers.
More to the sacrifice as chosen by the Christian devout, Holy Week 2014 signifies a long weekend for Christians around the globe. In Australia, Easter holidays are honored starting on Good Friday (April 18) to end on Easter Monday (April 21). During these dates, many families choose to stay home together and make the most of the non-busy weekend.
Here are some of the Bible-based movies that you can watch for a meaningful family affair:
A heart-warming story of Queen Esther, a young Jewish woman forced to sleep with King Ahasuerus (Xerxes I) of Persia as he searches for the new queen. Esther's faith to her God led her to save the Jewish race from extermination against the cruel manipulations of Haman. Esther gained favor from the King allowing her to establish the feast of Purim, in commemoration of their deliverance. The film stars Louise Lombard (Hadasaah/Esther), F. Murray Abraham (Mordecai) and Thomas Kretschmann (King Ahasuerus).
[WATCH MOVIE HERE]
Joseph in Egypt (1995)
The story of Joseph, the son of Jacob, was based on the Old Testament. Being his father's favorite, Joseph was sold to slavery and endured countless sufferings before he was appointed Governor of Egypt. A story of deliverance worthy to be retold for countless times. The movie stars Paul Mercurio (Joseph), Ben Kingsley (Potiphar) and Martin Landau (Jacob).
A retelling of Moses life from the Book of Exodus, Moses saved by his mother against Pharaoh Ramses decree of killing all Hebrew children. He grew as the adopted son of an Egyptian princess and grew as the brother of the heir to the throne of Egypt. Moses was called by God to bring out His people to Egypt, and bring them to the promise land. Despite his lack of confidence, he responded to the call and his life became one of the greatest models in Christian faith. The role of Moses was played by Ben Kingsley.
These films may be a cliché or a little too old for the taste of many. But they embody the stories of faith and deliverance. These represent the essence of Holy Week celebrated annually.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jonah Hill Solemnises Adam Levine and Behati Prinsloo's Wedding Ceremony
- Pope Estimates 1 in 50 Clergy are Paedophiles; AU Doubles the Number
- Pope Francis Vows to ‘Use the Stick Against the Paedophile Priests’
- World Cup 2014 Finals: Sourgraping Brazil Celebrates Defeat of Rival Argentina; ‘They Already Have the Pope, That’s Enough’
- Tweet of Travel to Middle East to Join Jihadists Leads Philippine Police to Capture Australian ISIS Supporter in Cebu
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon